PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

BlasterEaten250
05-30-2013, 06:13 PM
I am stumped on this one. I was riding and about 5 minutes before it died it suddenly felt like it was running really rich (cutting out, most noticable at full throttle). It seemed like the spark was cutting in and out. Then all of the sudden it died on me. No blown fuses, battery is fine, lights don't work, and when I hit the starter button nothing happens (no clicking from the relay either). I am getting current to the starter button and out of it, after the starter button it goes to the relay I believe and the relay is getting current. Does anybody know how much current is needed at the relay to get it to activate? I tried a relay off a running 400ex and didn't help. Also tried a different CDI.

Electrical problems are not my strong point. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I am figuring that the problem is not in the starting system since the motor shut off on it's own when this all began. I also checked all the grounds. No luck. And when I jump the relay the starter will turn but the engine will not start.

CJM
05-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Could be timing, did you check?

Also could be a stator problem.

BlasterEaten250
05-30-2013, 08:29 PM
I haven't checked the timing yet. I'm not sure that explains the fact that nothing happens when I push the start button though?

I was wondering about the stator too. Like I said, I am not a huge electrical person so I don't have much knowledge with this stuff. I will have to look up how to test a stator.