PDA

View Full Version : quiet pipe?

WrAtHs
03-17-2003, 02:15 AM
I was just informed that a stock 400ex pipe is 88 db. Does anyone know what the quietest pipe is? I have to get a queiter one because of where I live. I guess I like the slip on idea, although I'm very new to all of this :)

thanks

jmoney45
03-17-2003, 02:26 AM
I had the big gun slip on with a quiet core in it, but it was still a little loud for my taste. I am going to try the MBRP exhaust, as it's supposed to be 93 db. You can check out http://www.mbrp.com for more info.

remlapr
03-17-2003, 02:39 AM
I don't think you are going to get a slip on that is quieter than a stock pipe without giving up performance. There is actually a company that make a pipe that is mean to be quiet - but they even say that it hurts performance...

WrAtHs
03-17-2003, 02:49 AM
I'm sorry. Let me clearify what I said. I just meant that I wanted to find a pipe that was quieter than most aftermarket pipes, not the stock pipe. I guess I worded that all wrong :)

remlapr
03-17-2003, 02:58 AM
Check out the FMF Q-series, Or maybe Yoshimura.

03-17-2003, 03:08 AM
I say the Q by Fmf but be ready to pay! maybe check ebay. And i think the yosh's sound good but when u hammer it they get loud.

zoom400ex
03-17-2003, 04:56 AM
my e series is pretty quiet compared ot most aftermarket exhausts, but is still pretty loud in my opinion. they make quiet cores for them and you could play around with the tunable disc a alittle bit.

400exdad
03-17-2003, 05:49 AM
In the latest Dirt Wheels, they compared the pipes for the Z400. The T-4 looked to be pretty good for power and still fairly quiet. However, I think I have heard folks here say that the T-4 is pretty loud for the EX. Later in the same mag, they talked about quiet cores. HMF, which seems to have a decent pipe/slip on, is working on a new core for their pipes. They quote the owner/engineer of HMF as saying "...closer to stock sound and still an 80% gain in power as compared to an uncorked HMF". Something like that anyway. Their core looks different that the ones used by Yoshi and others. Plus you get the nice round outlet for the exhaust..... I hate the plates.

4TraxRider
03-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Take a look at tunable exhausts. Then if you have the ability to be loud one day, you can, and you can make it quite for around the house. As long as you don't mind giving up a little performance to be quite they work great.

jmoney45
03-17-2003, 01:46 PM
I can give an update as I just got my mbrp and installed it. First off, I am very impressed with the fit and finish. The stainless steel looks great and won't rust. I was surprised at how quiet it is. I had the big gun with quiet core and I would say this is a few decibels lower. I can't say anything about the performance yet as I am still waiting for some other stuff to come in before I get good seat time, but if you are looking for a quiet pipe I would recommend the mbrp. You can go to http://forums.atvconnection.com and click on the MBRP section. Bob is pretty quick to answer any questions and that's who I ordered my pipe from.