PDA

View Full Version : 450r rear caliper mount (brake stay) play (movement)

get_up_mark
05-28-2013, 05:30 AM
I guess I should introduce myself at this point as well. I'm not new to the forum but prob haven't been on here in years. I prev had a blaster, tecate 4 and trx 250r which have been sold. I recently picked up a 00 ex with 03 crf 450r in it. More details about it to come when I make my signature. Anyways it feels great to be riding again.
Ok so.. The whole brake set up from the rear is from the trx450r. The caliper and brake stay move about 3/16 of an inch forward and backward. I changed my swing arm bushing that goes through the brake stay and I figured that would be the issue because it seamed like a normal wear and tear part. That didnt seem to help any. I checked the bearings in the carrier and everything is perfect. Should I change the brake stay and c clip that holds that. I have a lonestar swing arm but I don't think that should matter should it? To me it almost seems like the hole inside the brake stay is too big and it's loose around the axle. Any help would be appreciated as I'm trying to figure this ish out before walden on June 8th.

Blodg
05-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Mine has always moved on my 250R Laeger swing arm from day 1 with everything in spec. I never worried about it and have ridden it that way for years.

2001400exrida
05-29-2013, 08:26 AM
it's normal for them to move forward and back a little. it shouldn't move side to side much though.

get_up_mark
05-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Thank you both. It does only move front to back not left and right. I guess it just bothers me more than anything. I don't know if I can notice it while braking.

Balaz_73*00
05-30-2013, 09:30 PM
It generally is a worn out carrier where the stay rides. Its irritates me to the point where i put a new carrier and stay on. It solved it. also, having that rubber seal in tact inside the stay helps too

get_up_mark
06-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Good point Balaz_73*00 I never thought of that. I guess next time I do bearing carrier well see if that helps. Has anyone used the lone star brake caliper mount or is everyone sticking with stock?