PDA

View Full Version : Steering very stiff

fast shee
05-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Took my son riding and was very muddy and wet. He pulled off the track and said the steering was stiff. I checked it and could not believe how stiff it was. Looks like the cobra sperical ball/bushings for the spindles get stiff when in the mud and water. Cleaned and lubed then greased after washing the bike as usual. Anyway to prevent this without replacing the ft end?

skyeryder
05-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Not a lot of experience with those since we switched to JB arms right away, but people had told me to spray with WD40 before and after every ride, even between motos.

fast shee
05-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Well i think if we keep the bike for next season i will have to upgrade the front end. Terrible design! Unil then i will have to come up with something to shield the joints.

Ryko racing
06-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Well i think if we keep the bike for next season i will have to upgrade the front end. Terrible design! Unil then i will have to come up with something to shield the joints.

If you take the bearings to a Bearing Services distributor there is an upgraded bearing that is smoother and lasts longer. The cobra bearings are done in about 4 races if you ride it hard.

WE LOADED THEM WITH TEFLON LUBE WHEN WE PUT THEM IN AND KEPT THEM SPRAYED WITH THE SAME STUFF EVERY TIME IT CAME OFF THE TRACK.

fast shee
06-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Any idea of the brand and part number?

Yuk33
06-04-2013, 04:29 AM
Any idea of the brand and part number?

I can't find my old info with the bearing I think you may need; but a few years back, the guy that had these wouldn't sell to me cause I wouldn't buy in bulk. But i was able to get Hetrick Racing to purchase me some. Check with them, they may still have them.

fast shee
06-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks for that. I will give them a call.