PDA

View Full Version : impounding atv's

JACK STRAW
05-26-2013, 11:16 AM
if we have our 4 wheelers registered and insured can a cop impound them if the kid cought on the road? ours are insured on our farm policy and they are specifically listed with vins. it costs me about about $35 a year to insure 3 of them thru the farm instead of geiko or rider. we currently do not hve them registered in nj but have had them registered in maine.1 person told me that as long as it was registerd in a state and insured the cop can't impound it, is a tresspassing fine. any true info will help. thanks
i didn't know where else to post this

CJM
05-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Yep, so long as it is reg and ins they cant take it. What they can do is ticket you for trespassing or operating a motor vehicle on private property. Ill say this, and this is only joking (wink): If you are ever in the woods and they try to get you DO NOT STOP for any reason. It is much better to just run off. Dont roost them, just leave.

They went so far as to tackle and clothesline kids off stuff here and got in deep doo doo when one of the kids helmet cams was sent to the local mayor with a note threatening legal action as well as sending it to the news.

JACK STRAW
05-26-2013, 08:13 PM
they ride on the road between farms and i tell him if you do get cornered , tell him you are on your way to work at one of the farms (wink). so far it hasn't been too hard for them not to get cornered since the fields were down,but they are planted now, which seems to make it more fun for him (my 14 yr old). i still can't imagine a cop going thru the lengths you just said to catch a kid on a quad. you would think there's a robber or a drug dealer they could spend their time on. i will go ahead and get them registered in maine since i can do it on line with no title. the 400s have titles but the 300 doesn't.

OldGuyonaQuad
05-27-2013, 09:43 AM
When we got caught in Wharton State forest last year by a park ranger we just stopped because I was an idiot that crossed over 206 not knowing we would drive right by their HQ, so i knew there was two other rangers waiting for us. We gave him our documents and I showed him a family PBA (my brother in law is a detective) card and he gave us a $95 trespassing ticket but told us that his supervisor has given all Rangers strict instructions to impound all four wheelers and dirt bikes. IDK if they legally can do that if you are legal but if you get caught running from them they have a reason to impound your stuff and if they really want to be dicks about it they can can go after your driver license for evading. If I knew for absolute certainty that would be the only repercussion of riding in NJ I would take the calculated risk since it costs us that much in gas to ride @ Trevorton but I hate looking over my shoulder and taking that chance. What it really comes down to is the locals, police and neighbors. As long as nobody is complaining you are probably ok. If you know any local cops ask them off the cuff what ifs.... Me I follow one simple rule that I read on another forum.
"The best place to ride in NJ is PA. You can't go wrong." ;)

The thing that gets me about this is we register and insure them and they basically become lawn ornaments because the Sierra group says that we are driving the tree frogs further back into the woods but meanwhile the trails are littered with street legal bikes and rut making Jeep clubs that sustain far more Eco damage then any quads. Why can't we ride when there is snow on the ground? Snowmobiles can why can't we? BTW the new penalties are now enforceable because they opened that lame @$$ park. Fines vary for 1st, 2nd & 3rd time offenders but there is a fine that can be assessed at 3x the Eco damage that they think you caused. FU Sierra club and Jeff Tittel you whinny little f face. ok rant over.

If you have a registration from another state you should have no issues nut NJDMV is one f'ed up agency. You can go there three different times and speak to three different people and be told three different things to which nobody is accountable. When I bought my previous quad (that was later stolen) I was tole that all I needed was a bill of sale and a lien release from Honda but after buying the quad the same girl @ DMV turned me down. I went round and round with her and her supervisor until things escalated and the local police officer came over. He was on duty during my previous visit there and told them that he heard the same things that I was saying but it didn't change anything they just claimed they didn't fully understand my request. I finally got it registered after going to two other offices and one guy told me to get a notarized letter from the previous owner explaining that he didn't register it because it was going to ridden strictly on private property and the same type of letter from me. It worked but I tried to send a buddy there to do the same thing and they shot him down. It's really playing registration roulette. I have since found a work around where you can register it in PA even though you live in NJ. You call and explain that there is no place to ride in NJ and you are going to ride it only in PA. As I stated above once you have it registered in any state it should be no problem getting it registered in NJ.

CJM
05-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Yea, trying to register it I always followed the "notarized bill of sale" route. It worked once when there was NO info on my 400ex. But they turned down my buddy b/c they said he had to get a letter from the owner it was registered to (wasnt the same guy he bought it off of my friend was 3rd owner). my 450 I bought in PA and the eatontown dmv (main office round here) who had given me the one for my 400ex refused claiming b/c it was out of state I was lying, I mighta stole it, contact the abandoned vehicle dept (people who work for the dmv are mostly idiots). I go with the same paperwork to my local dmv and they register no issues.

Its all about making money btw, the police where I am go to great lengths to make a big deal. Like I said they were tackling and punching kids off bikes and quads. Problem is there is nowhere legal to ride but that crappy park (and its a craphole) and now they made all these stupid laws. Bottom line is unless you know where to go and where to park its a bad idea. Maybe they would let your kids go, but a grown man they might tase you! Ive only been stopped 3x, once in a state forest (had no idea it was one) and was fined by the ranger (who nearly ran me and my buddy over might I add) for trespassing (he went so far to run our licenses and vins on the quads!) and 2x at my local spot where the cops just fine you and make you leave.

I dream of the day when Im outta here and go west where so long as you got pay a permit they dont really care.

JACK STRAW
05-27-2013, 07:43 PM
i just registered them all in maine( my in-laws have a cabin up there and we have ridden there but it is a 12 hr ride) i printed out the reg's and copied our farm policy showing they are listed and told the boys to be SAFE and know the trails,woods and fields. hopefully Rosco won't catch these boys, but God forbid he does we will see how far the paperwork gets.

CJM
05-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Honestly I think they go all out b/c its a fun game to them and makes the town money. Each fine by me is $280 and in some cases is a court appearance req'd for another fine a few of my buddies got.

Often we joke that all of the cops in town are at the pit, we could go rob a bank lol.

CJM
05-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Honestly I think they go all out b/c its a fun game to them and makes the town money. Each fine by me is $280 and in some cases is a court appearance req'd for another fine a few of my buddies got.

Often we joke that all of the cops in town are at the pit, we could go rob a bank lol.