PDA

View Full Version : JB Mod 150 or 250?

ValloneRaceTeam
05-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Ok, right now my son rides a kids on quad 90 mod and likes it but looking for something new for next season and sounds like he the 250 may not be the best option as he will be too young to run at Nationals, he is 11 now and turns 12 in June. So, thinking maybe doing the 150 for a couple of years, we can run it at local track also. And this weekend at Walnut will be our first National race so we will see how he likes it and how many more we do this year and next year.

Thank you in advance!

Logan #34's Dad
05-22-2013, 08:32 PM
The 150's roll....however, you better have deep pockets if you want a Nationally competitive motor. There are guys on the line at the Nationals that have more money in their motors than I've got in my entire quad... I chose the CR85 and have one a 90cc and the other a 101cc. And I can fix anything on the motor... much lighter too. The 4 stroke is more forgiving as far as being in the wrong gear...I'd say that's the only advantage. My 2 cents.. See ya in Illinois..

bigdaddy77
05-23-2013, 09:30 AM
When your at Walnut go talk to the Root River boys. They are running the new JB 250 chassis with 90 mod motors in it. I don't know what mods had to be done to accept the 90 motor but could be a good option as your son grows you can change the motors. Logan has proved you can be competitive in the super mini class with a 90cc motor. The JB 250 chassis is sweet. And I bet it's lighter and handles better for a smaller rider than the 450 mod your running now.

Kovatch
05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
If you don't talk to Root River, go to JB and ask him directly. His youth team has many variations from 90s to 150s & 250s. You may be able to buy the chassis and change out motors with different mounts (as bigdaddy77 referenced).

ValloneRaceTeam
05-29-2013, 07:51 AM
The 150's roll....however, you better have deep pockets if you want a Nationally competitive motor. There are guys on the line at the Nationals that have more money in their motors than I've got in my entire quad... I chose the CR85 and have one a 90cc and the other a 101cc. And I can fix anything on the motor... much lighter too. The 4 stroke is more forgiving as far as being in the wrong gear...I'd say that's the only advantage. My 2 cents.. See ya in Illinois..

Thanks guys, every time I went to talk to Root guys they were busy but great weekend in IL, and Logan's dad thanks your son is very nice! My son was talking to him while waiting in staging and he got some photos of him racing his bigger quad. I still keep going back and forth on which way to go but I see we need a different chassis as his really might be too old so looking for a used JB quad now.

bigdaddy77
05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Rocky has the CanAms figured out as far as making them a 90 mod. What chassis are you running now? Also be careful in the search for used JB's or Fischer mods. There are several different generations of them. The newer ones run mostly 450r hubs, spindle, brakes and axles. The newer JB's also use the newer style Trx 90 plastic. We run 2 Pitster Pro chassis. One in the 125 four stroke class and the other is a 90 mod. Reason is we had the four stroke and I picked up the other one at a descent price. Both run ATV Four Play. Long travel suspension. So I was thinking this would help him transition from one quad to the other easier. What I have noticed is the Pitster chassis is larger than the JB or Fischer. So Just keep in mind those chassis aren't real big. Adam is only 9 and is already over 5'1" . Not real heavy at 100 pounds but by the time he is 12 or 13 we are going to need a new setup. Either 450 frame or possible a 250 hybrid frame. Just trying to share as much info with you as I can.

ValloneRaceTeam
05-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Rocky has the CanAms figured out as far as making them a 90 mod. What chassis are you running now? Also be careful in the search for used JB's or Fischer mods. There are several different generations of them. The newer ones run mostly 450r hubs, spindle, brakes and axles. The newer JB's also use the newer style Trx 90 plastic. We run 2 Pitster Pro chassis. One in the 125 four stroke class and the other is a 90 mod. Reason is we had the four stroke and I picked up the other one at a descent price. Both run ATV Four Play. Long travel suspension. So I was thinking this would help him transition from one quad to the other easier. What I have noticed is the Pitster chassis is larger than the JB or Fischer. So Just keep in mind those chassis aren't real big. Adam is only 9 and is already over 5'1" . Not real heavy at 100 pounds but by the time he is 12 or 13 we are going to need a new setup. Either 450 frame or possible a 250 hybrid frame. Just trying to share as much info with you as I can.

Right now we have a Kids on Quad 250 style chassis and I found a JB/Fischer quad, and pretty sure he said it has Honda 400 parts, so does that mean it is an older JB frame? Should I stay away from it and keep looking? Thanks for the help. My son is 11 now and about 5' also I think around 90-95 lbs now. So hoping to keep next chassis for 150 and then 250 motor if possible.

bigdaddy77
05-29-2013, 12:46 PM
I believe that's like the 2nd to newest. From what Ive read or been told is that the original ones used 250r geometry and parts. Then the next generation went to the 400ex parts and now the 450r. I would call JB and ask him. Or Bud Fischer. I believe There was a post recently that had contact info for Fischer. There was a older kid running a JB here in Illinois last year and it was a older model and it was fast. I know the only real issue he had was breaking motor mounts. They might still have it. His dad has a shop in central Illinois called Blaster Boys Motorsports. Good luck to you.But before I bought anything I would check with JB and Fischer. Hell they may even have some used stuff or a line on where some is. I know that's How a buddy of mine picked up his latest Fischer Mod.

RICO111
01-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Hows it going its Rico Autumn Star Milhoans dad we just got Autumn a Honda 450 because shes gonna be 16 in about 5 months but i think its to much for her im thinking about a Modd with a CRF 250 mot what do you think if you have some free time give me a call 330-907-1006 im on vacation right now so feel free to call me any time thanks Rick Milhoan