PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid or battery?

quadmanw
05-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Well I can't figure it out. My battery is practically brand new and sometimes when I go to start the old 400 it just buzzes back by the solenoid. Sometimes after I charge the battery it starts without any buzzing. I can't decide whether it's the battery or the solenoid. Any ideas? Jumping the quad of my truck or catching it in gear is starting to get old. :scary:

JACK STRAW
05-21-2013, 07:54 PM
1st make sure your connections at the battery are clean and shiny. scrape the contact areas with a pen knife or something similar. you want to make sure you are getting the full voltage and amperage thru the wires.

quadmanw
05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
I will give that a try tomorrow.. hit it with a wire brush or something. I know that the connectors are semi clean.. I was just seeing if anyone else had this problem

on the rocks
05-22-2013, 10:51 AM
i agree with previously stated. too much resistance, could be corrosion or lose terminals. i would check the terminals at the battery, the bat. ground on the frame. then check the positive to the solenoid then the solenoid to the starter. all should be tight and clean.