PDA

View Full Version : Chain

Honda4LifeWes36
05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Trying to tighten the chain on the ol' 400 and can't get that deal you put the screwdriver in to even budge. The chain is loose as heck, and I've got the four allen bolts loosened up. Still can't get it??

Stickman400
05-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Prolly needs torn apart and greased up. Mine does that quite a bit if I ride in a lot of water, sand and mud. You can try to get a longer allen key or use a punch that will fit in the slots, but you risk breaking the cast housing. If you can't get it to budge while using a decent amount of force with a punch or something similar I'd tear it apart and clean the inside of the swinger and the outside of the carrier then lube them up really good with waterproof grease. Then she'll turn smooth as glass.

Honda4LifeWes36
05-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Jeez, I just replaced that whole carrier not too long ago.

Fix29
05-21-2013, 02:04 PM
When I put mine back together the last time, I cleaned the inside of the swinger pretty good and coated the swinger and carrier with anti sieze. It has worked great so far.

JACK STRAW
05-21-2013, 08:01 PM
do you have an aftermarket skid plate under the carrier. we had one that had a bolt that was about a 1/4" too long and it was hitting the carrier and i was not able to rotate it until i took the bolt out of the skidplate

CJM
05-21-2013, 08:11 PM
do you have an aftermarket skid plate under the carrier. we had one that had a bolt that was about a 1/4" too long and it was hitting the carrier and i was not able to rotate it until i took the bolt out of the skidplate

Possible.

Also try putting the rear up in the air then making sure all of the bolts are loose and taking a flathead and prying apart the swingarm where it pinches together.

Honda4LifeWes36
05-25-2013, 11:57 AM
No skid plate but I did put the bolts back in the holes so I wouldn't lose them. I will give that a try, thanks.

Stickman400
05-25-2013, 12:57 PM
I guarantee that's it. Those bolts are the exact length to go through the stock skid and be tightened without the hitting the carrier. If you remove that skid and then replace the bolts they hit the carrier. I've done the same thing before and that's what it was. I actually tore the whole thing apart to grease it up and still couldn't get it to come out after tearing it apart. That's when I figured out the bolts were holding it.

Honda4LifeWes36
06-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Did both of those things and nothing. Pulled the skid plate bolts out, the four swing arm bolts out, got the quad lifted up. Nothing. ??? Won't budge an inch.

CJM
06-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Time to take it apart and check everything over then grease the heck out of the carrier and axle.

JOHNDOE83
06-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Hit the carrier housing with a mallet or hammer a few times to loosen up the corrosion and dirt.

Hit it from the bottom so any tiny dent or scrtach isnt visible

Take the bolts out before you do this, not just loose.

Is the chain not getting tight or is the carrier just not moving?

Honda4LifeWes36
06-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Carrier is just not moving. I'm not sure which way to turn it but I tried both ways and neither of them would move it. I'll try the hammer thing, hopefully that works. Like I said it hasn't been in there that long, I replaced it a few months ago. Shouldn't be "ceased" in there you wouldn't thing. Frustrated!!!

HondaRacing83
06-16-2013, 01:01 PM
You know everytime I go to adjust my chain i can get it to move a littld but not much to adjust it so i always call my dad out and he moves it like butter and gets it perfect lol. i dont get it!