PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket size

ben300
05-20-2013, 04:06 PM
going to rebuild the 400. wasnt planning on it this early into the race season, but its smoking a little and that concerns me when racing 2 hours at a time.

so i ordered a stock bore 11:1 wiseco piston, kibble white valve springs, hot cam stage 2, and the cometic gasket kit. the gasket kit that came in from RMATVMC says its an 86mm gasket. stock is 85mm. will that work? is that ok? they didnt give me any option for bore size when i ordered. i just ordered the kit from their website.

also i know this is off the topic, but its related, what cam chain would you guys go with? OEM? HD from GTT?

thanks

Mtndew99
05-20-2013, 07:19 PM
going to rebuild the 400. wasnt planning on it this early into the race season, but its smoking a little and that concerns me when racing 2 hours at a time.

so i ordered a stock bore 11:1 wiseco piston, kibble white valve springs, hot cam stage 2, and the cometic gasket kit. the gasket kit that came in from RMATVMC says its an 86mm gasket. stock is 85mm. will that work? is that ok? they didnt give me any option for bore size when i ordered. i just ordered the kit from their website.

also i know this is off the topic, but its related, what cam chain would you guys go with? OEM? HD from GTT?

thanks

I have a 88mm bore and a 89 mm head gasket so it should work I have probably 10-12 hours on my motor
As wi the cam chain get a 2002 crf450r cam chain it's heavier duty that the stocker and I think it cost about the same

Stickman400
05-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most come in 86mm, because that will work with an 85, 87 or 88mm bore. The only time you need a different sized gasket is for a 440, you need a gasket for an 89mm. Alteast I'm fairly sure on that. And x2 on the CRF timing chain, they are stronger than the stock one, cost half the price of a stock 400 chain and much cheaper than the GTT chain, which is the same thing as the CRF chain.