PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change

Otis.Leo
05-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Morning riders,

Going to change out the oil this weekend and have a quick question. I know the bolt on the oil res was a pain to get out last year, and I can only imagine what it will be like this time. Has anyone used a dremel to put a straight line in the bolt and used a flathead screwdriver to loosen and tighten it? Are the bolts aluminum or steel?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
Otis

quadmanw
05-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Have you tried an extension and a small breaker bar? That bolt doesn't need to be that tight.. But I don't think a screw driver would tighten it enough

Otis.Leo
05-20-2013, 12:27 PM
I haven't played with it yet this year.. still sittin up north in the shed. im not so much worried about getting it tight enough with a socket, I just don't want to strip it loosening it. everything on the bike is over tightened from the guy that owned it before me..

Mtndew99
05-20-2013, 01:24 PM
I haven't played with it yet this year.. still sittin up north in the shed. im not so much worried about getting it tight enough with a socket, I just don't want to strip it loosening it. everything on the bike is over tightened from the guy that owned it before me..

If its already striped you will know when you take it out I always put the ratchet and socket on it and hit it with the palm of my hand to break it loose

on the rocks
05-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Morning riders,

Going to change out the oil this weekend and have a quick question. I know the bolt on the oil res was a pain to get out last year, and I can only imagine what it will be like this time. Has anyone used a dremel to put a straight line in the bolt and used a flat head screwdriver to loosen and tighten it? Are the bolts aluminum or steel?

to start... last year? you change your oil once a year? unless you only ride like 10 hours a year you should be changing it more often.

And now to the drain bolt issue, if the head of the bolt is rounded causing you the problems, a slit in the head would be a good way to solve the problem. if you cannot get the drain bolt out the line that runs to the bottom of the oil take can serve as a tank drain as well. it will have a small amount left in the tank though. the line can come off the tank or off the motor. if removed from the motor there is a steel dowel and an o ring you will need to be careful not to lose. don't forget to drain the motor as well. hope this helps.

Stickman400
05-21-2013, 12:40 AM
Well, the last time I changed the oil in my 400 was last year too. You need to remember in the northern half of the US it's just now starting to get warm and dry enough to ride a sport quad on a normal basis again, you should know, you're in Ohio. And if you're like me, the 'ole 400 didn't see what snow looked like this last winter. So it's been sitting for the last 7 months or so barely even getting started, let alone being rode. I'm pretty sure the last time I changed mine was the beginning of November last year, and I prolly haven't out more than 15 or 20 hours on the engine since then.

hondaREX
05-21-2013, 04:58 AM
you cant get more of a positive "grip" on the bolt head than a 6point socket. If it is already rounded then a twist socket or if u can get a slot in it it may work. If its still a good head. Wack it with an impact gun and it should come loose. Lower oil line is a gd option too.

Zakradu398
05-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Be careful with that bolt. If I remember correctly CJM overtightened it once and it ripped off the whole bottom of the tank!

Otis.Leo
05-21-2013, 08:18 AM
to start... last year? you change your oil once a year? unless you only ride like 10 hours a year you should be changing it more often.

And now to the drain bolt issue, if the head of the bolt is rounded causing you the problems, a slit in the head would be a good way to solve the problem. if you cannot get the drain bolt out the line that runs to the bottom of the oil take can serve as a tank drain as well. it will have a small amount left in the tank though.

well it probably has that amount of hours on it.. I am more of a water person so when mid summer hit the bike sits a lot more than it should. and like Stick said it is just to the point where the trails arent terrible so this weekend i plan to get out a little bit.. but i know i gotta change the oil first.

So next question about the oil line drain method.. techinicall a guy could drain as much out as possible then blow air into the tank to push the rest of the oil out right?? or try to at least?

Otis.Leo
05-21-2013, 08:19 AM

And now to the drain bolt issue, if the head of the bolt is rounded causing you the problems, a slit in the head would be a good way to solve the problem. if you cannot get the drain bolt out the line that runs to the bottom of the oil take can serve as a tank drain as well. it will have a small amount left in the tank though.

well it probably has that amount of hours on it.. I am more of a water person so when mid summer hits the bike sits a lot more than it should. and like Stick said it is just to the point where the trails arent terrible so this weekend i plan to get out a little bit.. but i know i gotta change the oil first.

So next question about the oil line drain method.. techinically a guy could drain as much out as possible then blow air into the tank to push the rest of the oil out right?? or try to at least?

chronicsmoke
05-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Be careful with that bolt. If I remember correctly CJM overtightened it once and it ripped off the whole bottom of the tank!
I did this too back in '04 haha