PDA

View Full Version : 05 450r swapping oil

h400exrydr
05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Hey I've been trying to search for why this is happening. Just put in a new tranny in an 05 450r. Put new seals and gaskets in everywhere. All OEM parts. Got it started and ran it for 20 minutes. While running it gained engine oil. So from what I've seen its supposed to be the crank bearing seal that would be bad. Can I replace this oil seal without having to split the cases again? Any info is appreciated because this is driving me nuts!

Scro
05-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Yes, it can be replaced without splitting. Just remove the basket, and you should be able to pick it out.

h400exrydr
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes, it can be replaced without splitting. Just remove the basket, and you should be able to pick it out.

Alright. I will try it. I remember last time I tried putting in a new one I had a hard time getting the seal to go over the collar on the crank itself. I tried oiling it up a bit and everything. Maybe I put it in wrong? Numbers on the seal I believe go away from the engine right?

Thanks for the response.

2001400exrida
05-20-2013, 01:25 PM

the side case has to come off to get the clutch basket off on the honda 450's. Not sure why they didn't make the clutch cover hole big enough because it's a real pain!

h400exrydr
05-21-2013, 12:09 PM
the side case has to come off to get the clutch basket off on the honda 450's. Not sure why they didn't make the clutch cover hole big enough because it's a real pain!

Well apparently whoever pressed the little collar on the crank must've put it on wrong. So now my question is does anyone know how to get the collar off without having to split the cases?

bobbo97f150
06-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Well apparently whoever pressed the little collar on the crank must've put it on wrong. So now my question is does anyone know how to get the collar off without having to split the cases?

I ran across the same issue. Someone installed the collar backwards. Found it when changing the seal because it was transferring oil from trans to engine side. I was not able to remove the collar but I did force the seal over the collar and it has not leaked since. About 20 hours on it since the new seal installation.

h400exrydr
06-18-2013, 08:40 AM

i tried and broke 2 seals. i ended up making a puller that worked perfect

bobbo97f150
06-18-2013, 09:18 AM
i tried and broke 2 seals. i ended up making a puller that worked perfect

Could you provide a picture or more info on this puller you made?