PDA

View Full Version : 11yr old in Louisville area killed on ATV

remlapr
03-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Three 11-12 year old girls on a 450 utility quad, unsupervised and apparently not wearing helmets. What is wrong with people? I hope they charge whoever was responsible for them being on the quad with manslaughter:

http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2003/03/16/in031603s381573.htm

CHAUNCY
03-16-2003, 04:51 PM
:(

Fender Bender
03-16-2003, 05:30 PM
Some people are about as dumb as a pile of rocks...:ermm: :(

MILF_HUNTER
03-16-2003, 05:49 PM
i think you owe the pile of rocks an apology

D-4our
03-16-2003, 06:03 PM
yeah the pile of rocks never said anything to you, no, on a serious note, that is un-fortunate on how stupid people (the parents) can be.:mad:

QuadJunkies
03-16-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by D-4our
yeah the pile of rocks never said anything to you, no, on a serious note, that is un-fortunate on how stupid people (the parents) can be.:mad: irrisponsible ,and they blame a qyad for doing it to the child...when its the parents fault for not insuring some safety,I could go on a nd on,but I wont...:grr Safety if one thing I STRESS to my kids and cant be firm wnough about..sure, you cant have control ovr all the bumps and bruises they are going to get, but you can save a life with a helmet and proper gear

Fender Bender
03-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by MILF_HUNTER
i think you owe the pile of rocks an apology

I apologise pile of rocks for comparing you to ignorant people:confused2

Let me rephrase- they're parents must not have been the sharpest nuts in the pile

Braff1
03-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
irrisponsible ,and they blame a qyad for doing it to the child...when its the parents fault for not insuring some safety,I could go on a nd on,but I wont...:grr Safety if one thing I STRESS to my kids and cant be firm wnough about..sure, you cant have control ovr all the bumps and bruises they are going to get, but you can save a life with a helmet and proper gear

You sumed up my response there QJ. The parents are the ones to accept responsibilty for their childrens action. Riding 2 can be dagerous, 3 people is just stupid.

QuadJunkies
03-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
You sumed up my response there QJ. The parents are the ones to accept responsibilty for their childrens action. Riding 2 can be dagerous, 3 people is just stupid. I C parent all the time that just let there kids go full bore, no gear helmets(well how can you teach a kid to wear one when the darn parents isnt wearing one either...:grr )..and there not even watching what they are doing,or where they are riding..I wathc my kids like a hawk and I try to show them how to handle there machine.. NO PARENT should have ther kids on one if they cant respect it, I feel so bad for all these kids that get killed ,if they were only educated ,people like this give our sport a bad name....

Braff1
03-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Things like this is what pees me off to worlds end. The family will probably now go on tv blaming the atv for killing there daughter. Last weekend my son had a bad wreck scaring the he!! out of me, but thanks to his helmet and chest protector he will live to ride another day.

QuadJunkies
03-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
Things like this is what pees me off to worlds end. The family will probably now go on tv blaming the atv for killing there daughter. Last weekend my son had a bad wreck scaring the he!! out of me, but thanks to his helmet and chest protector he will live to ride another day. I dont doubt it for a moment that they will...:( kids have no fear sometimes(well, I know my son dont) and he keeps me busy eyeing im all the tiem, but in the long run...it will pay off... Im glad your son was ok BTW..;) prime example of what a helmet can do...:cool:

CowsBitePeople
03-17-2003, 12:26 AM
My younger Brother(7 at the time)mikey, my mom, my other younger brother(13)my friend, and I went out riding on theabandoned R.R. tracks and My little Brother mikey had a honda 70 was trying to get out of the ruts on the side and when he did hewent out of control and drove off a 100 ft cliff on the right side about ten ft down he hit a small tree about 3in in diameter which stopped the quad somehow and he flew over the bars and rolled down the rest of the hill....he finally came to a stop about 10 ft from the bottom in a pricker bush....he ran climbed back up the cliff yelling that he was ok which relivev us all....That was the scariest moment of our lives....that was also when i was riding my old yamaha big bear with a whinch which we used to pull his quad back up....(still running when we pulled it up :huh )mikey only had some scratched on his left side and alot on his helmet....Thanks god for his helmet because if he wasnt wearing it i dont know what would of happend....

But yeah those parents have some problem if they werent supervising their kids and thats even worse if they werent wearing a helmet....which could make a huge difference in the way you come out of a crash....like my brother....

MaTT....

QuadJunkies
03-17-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by CowsBitePeople
My younger Brother(7 at the time)mikey, my mom, my other younger brother(13)my friend, and I went out riding on theabandoned R.R. tracks and My little Brother mikey had a honda 70 was trying to get out of the ruts on the side and when he did hewent out of control and drove off a 100 ft cliff on the right side about ten ft down he hit a small tree about 3in in diameter which stopped the quad somehow and he flew over the bars and rolled down the rest of the hill....he finally came to a stop about 10 ft from the bottom in a pricker bush....he ran climbed back up the cliff yelling that he was ok which relivev us all....That was the scariest moment of our lives....that was also when i was riding my old yamaha big bear with a whinch which we used to pull his quad back up....(still running when we pulled it up :huh )mikey only had some scratched on his left side and alot on his helmet....Thanks god for his helmet because if he wasnt wearing it i dont know what would of happend....

But yeah those parents have some problem if they werent supervising their kids and thats even worse if they werent wearing a helmet....which could make a huge difference in the way you come out of a crash....like my brother....

MaTT.... Holy cow:eek: ..Glad hes ok........

dirtmomma
03-17-2003, 03:17 AM
Very Sad:( I think the parents should be held responsible also!!! If they aren't going to stress any safety then they are resopnsible!!!! My little guy crashed racing this weekend & thank
God for helmets & chest protectors, he got a little cut on his eye from his goggles but that was about it. Scared the crap out of Mom & Dad but he got back on!!!!!;)

03-17-2003, 05:41 AM
The sympathies:

I am allways saddended to hear of someone getting hurt or even worse loosing there life and, especially when doing something they enjoy like riding and the victim is a child.

My sympathies do go out to these people and their families and I wont deny a prayer has been said for them also.

Tragedy is not predjudice to anyone and we all need to be carefull in our selected sports and activities. Even when we are properly prepared and trained there is allways a risk for injury or death and this is true with many sports etc.

I wish that no one I know will ever have to endure the pain of such a tragedy as this.

The Realitiy:

Well this is the hard nosed truth about what really causes many injuries and deaths related to accidents and mishaps etc. and I know some will not appreciate my thoughts but if I can convince one person to think b4 they hurt themselves or some one else, I feel I have accomplished something.

The problem with many civilized thoughts is that we believe we are all "equal" and thats just not true. People are from such varied backrounds and blood lines that no two of us are the same and our actions and thoughts are just as varied.

People are different and it shows in everything we do. I see people who obviously dont have a friggin clue and use a quad as a babysitter and basicaly just buy a machine and let the kids loose, and then there are those who (like QJ) investigate the sport they are interested in and spend the time, effort and money to be prepared to properly and safely enjoy the sport.

There are no guarantees in life and you can be injured or killed even with the proper gear as well as finding the same result from just crossing the street, BUT if you use your head, pay attention and have a little luck you will get to the other side.

I dont want to over simplfy things but some people just are not as smart as others, and people have done stupid things as long as there has been people. No matter how hard they try no "big brother" is gonna stop that with thousands of rediculous laws to save us from hurting ourselves.

"stupid is as stupid does" damn I am begining to think Forsest Gump was a friggin genious, but why cant we all just accept this little bit of truth. :)

Its truely a tragedy when a child is hurt or killed by the actions or lack of action of a parent, but there will allways be a natural process of thinning the heard of weakness, and sometimes it seems that nature has a way of limiting future generations of idiots sad as that may seem.

So yes I think there are people who could kill themselves operating a toaster or taking a bath (yes this has happened more than once) and I dont expect tragic accidents to ever be eliminated any more than I expect Jerry Springer to run out of people for his show.

So use your head and wear the proper gear and make sure you kids (if you have them) or anyone you ride with wears it too. Theres nothing going on here about being cool without a helmet and yet i see so many people not wearing them, and I think there all fools, but when I see a younger rider without one I get real pissed and have had more than one talk to people about it.

Sorry for the Sermon but I hate the stress of knowing someones stupidity has both caused another injury and puts more negative attention to our sport.

CowsBitePeople
03-17-2003, 05:54 AM
Man some idiot just flew down my street on a raptor pinned with no helmet on in regular street clothes :rolleyes: He will regret not wearing a helmet one day....

MaTT....

QuadJunkies
03-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
The sympathies:

I am allways saddended to hear of someone getting hurt or even worse loosing there life and, especially when doing something they enjoy like riding and the victim is a child.

My sympathies do go out to these people and their families and I wont deny a prayer has been said for them also.

Tragedy is not predjudice to anyone and we all need to be carefull in our selected sports and activities. Even when we are properly prepared and trained there is allways a risk for injury or death and this is true with many sports etc.

I wish that no one I know will ever have to endure the pain of such a tragedy as this.

The Realitiy:

Well this is the hard nosed truth about what really causes many injuries and deaths related to accidents and mishaps etc. and I know some will not appreciate my thoughts but if I can convince one person to think b4 they hurt themselves or some one else, I feel I have accomplished something.

The problem with many civilized thoughts is that we believe we are all "equal" and thats just not true. People are from such varied backrounds and blood lines that no two of us are the same and our actions and thoughts are just as varied.

People are different and it shows in everything we do. I see people who obviously dont have a friggin clue and use a quad as a babysitter and basicaly just buy a machine and let the kids loose, and then there are those who (like QJ) investigate the sport they are interested in and spend the time, effort and money to be prepared to properly and safely enjoy the sport.

There are no guarantees in life and you can be injured or killed even with the proper gear as well as finding the same result from just crossing the street, BUT if you use your head, pay attention and have a little luck you will get to the other side.

I dont want to over simplfy things but some people just are not as smart as others, and people have done stupid things as long as there has been people. No matter how hard they try no "big brother" is gonna stop that with thousands of rediculous laws to save us from hurting ourselves.

"stupid is as stupid does" damn I am begining to think Forsest Gump was a friggin genious, but why cant we all just accept this little bit of truth. :)

Its truely a tragedy when a child is hurt or killed by the actions or lack of action of a parent, but there will allways be a natural process of thinning the heard of weakness, and sometimes it seems that nature has a way of limiting future generations of idiots sad as that may seem.

So yes I think there are people who could kill themselves operating a toaster or taking a bath (yes this has happened more than once) and I dont expect tragic accidents to ever be eliminated any more than I expect Jerry Springer to run out of people for his show.

So use your head and wear the proper gear and make sure you kids (if you have them) or anyone you ride with wears it too. Theres nothing going on here about being cool without a helmet and yet i see so many people not wearing them, and I think there all fools, but when I see a younger rider without one I get real pissed and have had more than one talk to people about it.

Sorry for the Sermon but I hate the stress of knowing someones stupidity has both caused another injury and puts more negative attention to our sport. Amen ...WEll said.....;)

Carl Nevins
03-17-2003, 08:36 AM
QJ your exactly right. when i was growing up i couldn't look at my bikewithout wearing my gear and definatley not without my. Some parents need to get a little more brains,and be a lot more aware and responsible.

hessianmx111
03-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by remlapr
I hope they charge the parents with manslaughter:

[/url]

I saw this on the news this mornin and would like to say im sorry to the families and friends of the kids :(

second of all remplapr thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard true they should atleast be riding with helmets but you act like their parents are criminals or something. wtf???

Black400
03-17-2003, 09:54 AM
I feel sorry for them but at the same time it makes me f@ckin mad i mean thats what (if anything does) is going to lead to the end of our sport!:mad:

remlapr
03-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by hessianmx111
I saw this on the news this mornin and would like to say im sorry to the families and friends of the kids :(

second of all remplapr thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard true they should atleast be riding with helmets but you act like their parents are criminals or something. wtf???

INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER:
Involuntary manslaughter is an unlawful killing unintentionally caused by wanton or reckless conduct creating a high degree of likelihood that substantial harm will result to another.

I would say turning three 11 year old girls loose on a 450cc Utility quad with a top speed of 50+ mph without helmets qualifies - IMHO.

03-17-2003, 10:10 AM

Well it seems to be a popular thing with prosecutors all around the country charging parents for problems with parenting and common sense.

I cant agree with them and it seems that this attempt by the govt to "controll" how people raise their children is only making things worse.

hessianmx111
03-17-2003, 10:12 AM
i dont believe in this manslaughter most of the time the only case that i believe it is good for is driving under the influence. thats just my opinion and im only 14 so maybe i dont understand it fully but you know what they say about opinions there like *** holes everybody's got one :rolleyes:

QuadJunkies
03-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by hessianmx111

second of all remplapr thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard true they should atleast be riding with helmets but you act like their parents are criminals or something. wtf??? I def. would nevr wish manslaughter on the parents,the kids death is going to make there life a a living he!!of guilt,but I sure hope this dont get blamed on the ATV industry,that is so unfair...:(

remlapr
03-17-2003, 10:41 AM
I didn't mean the parents of the girl that got killed, I meant the person or persons that were responsible for them being on the quad. There were three girls on the quad, only one was killed - so chances are the girl that was killed was just a friend of the girl who's family owned the land.

honda400exrider
03-17-2003, 10:46 AM
i am sure that the parents never thought of that happened, and u shouldnt go around pointing fingers. but its really sad to hear about that. At that age u have just barely started life.

250x#93
03-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Man some idiot just flew down my street on a raptor pinned with no helmet

Same here, stupid people

But it is really sad to hear about a tragic happening like this, I know my cousin died ridin a utility quad and he wore his helmet, I wasn't real close to him but it is still weird that someone dies on a quad in ur family:(, Every one after that thought that I would sell my quad:confused: but like I said, If some one dies in a car u don't go out and sell ur car. I think it would be better to ride in memory of him. I know his close family members all went ridin, even the next day.

Rip_Tear
03-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Some people are so stupid.... What do they expect to happen... Whats it say on the fenders, and other places... "Don't ride with Passengers.... Wear safety equipment..." Atleast it gets the dumb people out of the gene pool...

Glow Plug
03-17-2003, 11:39 AM
people can be so stupid some times my dad will always tell me to wear my helment the only time i don't is if i am doing work with it or if i'm just pulling it out of the shop :rolleyes:

"BLAHH"300!!
03-17-2003, 11:59 AM
.....where did they say anything about them not wearing helmets?
i read over it twice to make sure, nothing mentioned about them wearing, or not wearing a helmut.

as far as i'm concerned, it's no-ones' fault, but the threee girls.
THEY should have known better. writen in black and white on the fender was "NO-ONE UNDER THE AGE OF 16"
(unless it was removed, and i doubt it)
you know how it was when you were a kid, all giddy playing around on pa-pa's fourwheeler.(i'm guessing it was grand-pa's quad becouse it was in grandma's pasture.)
i blam the fence (i'm kidding)
there were too many people on the machine, i'm going to guess and say the driver gassed it, cought one of the girls off guard in a turn the weight was shifted and caused the driver to go out of control, maybe one of them got off center and used the handy bars to get back on the seat, and turn the wheels into the fence.i know i've ridin with a passenger, hit a bump too fast the passenger gets a little off to the side and trying not to fall off pulls the driver down to right them selves in turn making me turn the wheel's....

i do not blame anyone. it is exactly what it is, an ACCIDENT...

"i hope they charge the parents with maslaughter"....i hope you get in the same perdicament and they charge you.

you people get all fired up about these things. it's never the driver's, or passenger's fault in these situations to MOST of you. it's always the parents, who may or maynot have had any idea what they were up to. i remember when i was a kid i'd ride slow and perfect in front of adults, and gas it when i passed behind a hill or bush.
if you didn't, you were more afraid than your paernts that you would get hurt.

call me what you want, but i have never seen anyone in person ride with a helmut. i don't and no-one in my click does. but were not clearing 40 foot gaps and **** either. call us lucky....call us resposible.
"i wear my helmut everytime i get on my bike even if it's to put it in the shed"....good for you..but i don't believe it, but more power to you, and if you do your scared.....i have had one bad wreck on mine, broke my collar bone and that was becouse i was drunk and acting a fool...

alot of people on here act like their all professional, and perfect
trying to sound experianced and butter up the reader above them....and it's usually the yunger groupe on their 250's...

let the flaming begin i won't reply...i spoke mine

03-17-2003, 12:03 PM

Well it seems to be a popular thing with prosecutors all around the country charging parents for problems with parenting and common sense.

I cant agree with them and it seems that this attempt by the govt to "controll" how people raise their children is only making things worse.

Ryan
03-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Thats a real shame. I feel very sorry for the 2 young girls. Unfortunitly I don't feel sorry for the parents. No little 12 yr old girls should be riding a 450cc atv without supervision or the proper saftey gear.

edit, 3 girls. What were they thinking?

I hope their parents are happy on what they have done.

kwatts400
03-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Did anyone see the episode of 20/20 back in the late 80's, the one that was pretty much responsible for getting 3-wheelers banned. This story reminds me of most of the footage that was shown. Kids riding around unsupervised w/out helmets on. It just goes to show that the select few (parents) who act irresponsibly really do make everyone look bad. The sad part is that Honda will probably get sued (and lose) over this even though there are warning stickers plastered all over every one of the quads that they sell. Its not Hondas fault that people can't read or follow warning labels that are everywhere.

I hope it doesn't turn out this way, and I sympathize w/ the families loss. I know that nothing can be said to make their loss any easier. Its a trajedy to hear about someone so young losing their life. I just hope that something like this will make people realize that they really need to pay more attention to their kids and supervise them when they are riding.

hessianmx111
03-17-2003, 02:48 PM
well heres my whole take on the helmet thing i dont know if they were wearing them or not but they probably werent, i always wear my helmet when riding my bike the only time i dont is when im warming it up riding up and down the road, on the fourwheeler on the other hand i usually wear it but sometimes i dont :rolleyes: the cpsc guidlines are a joke i dont know many 12-15 year olds who could comfortably ride a 90. ive seen alot of stories about atvs being dangerous and it is all a set up, all they show is some 3 year old kid riding a trx300 by himself through a creek up to the racks :rolleyes: and some kid on an old 200sx hitting a bump wide open trying to jump it and ends up flipping end over end with no helmet.

4punksdad
03-17-2003, 03:22 PM
chances are..............if there were dumb enough to load 3 people on a quad, they were dumb enough not to wear a helmet.

yeah........I said DUMB

440EX4me said it best............

03-17-2003, 03:35 PM
i dont got kids and parents cant be around all the time but wtf....the kid shouldnt of been riding it and he should of had a helmet on...its sorta the parents fault and there gonna have to live with that but how much dumber do u get, its sad , too bad we dont have a dumbarse detector and the people at the dealerships could scan people with it beofre they sold them stuff, i hate hearing about people doin such stupid stuff iits so easy to see how it will end

03-17-2003, 04:43 PM
440EX4me said it best............ :o thanx Joe

too bad we dont have a dumbarse detector and the people at the dealerships could scan people with it beofre they sold them stuff,

Then they wouldnt give us any attention LMAO You think they dont like stupid people with green money :)