PDA

View Full Version : Is it time?

Honda4LifeWes36
05-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Well, I have a 2003 400ex and Ive had it for 3 or 4 years now. Been well maintained and rode hard as well. Its starting to show signs of age and future problems like an odd sound in the motor? Not a valve tick either I do not believe. Just wondering if I should just sell it and upgrade or hang on to it and start dumping money into it? Its getting its years on it now that its not going to be worth much especially in this economy. Just wondering what you guys think.

Thanks.

CJM
05-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Tough call, without seeing.hearing it in person it could be anything from valve train to knocking or whatever. Building one up motor wise will run about 500 bucks for a piston, bore, cam and various parts.

Or you sell it while you can still get some cash and buy something else. my 400 had to have had at least 1500 hours on the motor total after a few topend rebuilds and started to vibrate (possible bad crank) so I sold it after I got a 450.

Honda4LifeWes36
05-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Yeah like I said its a 2003 so its getting up there in years. For about a year, I have been looking for a 450 or a newer 400 but haven't landed any deals yet. And on the noise, I really don't know either. Its just on start up. Makes an odd noise then warms up and, for the most part, goes away.