PDA

View Full Version : Tusk HD clutch question..?

Zakradu398
05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
I have the Tusk clutch with HD springs in my 400 and yz450. On both of them the clutch seems to slip pretty heavily until the trans warms up. Does this make sense? I am using Sierra marine 10w-30 oil I belive it is.

Ryan02400ex
05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Mine does the same thing. It's like it is grabbing and it feels like you have no power.

Zakradu398
05-13-2013, 11:11 AM
I can clearly feel it slipping but after it warms up no probs. This will cause big problems durring the holeshot of harescrambles and not sure what to do..

JOHNDOE83
05-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Thats deff not normal, Ive used tusk Hds for a long time without that ever happening.

I run big paddle tires with sometimes 16/39 or even 12/39 gearing and never slip.

Maybe just maybe, The clutch is grabbing so good your tires are spinning more....lol.

Ive never used marine oil, that may be your issue. I cant say for sure, Im a firm believer in oils just oil wether its synthetic or not.

But ive never had experience with marine oil.

Try to clean it up real good and use regular motor oil?

Zakradu398
05-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Thats deff not normal, Ive used tusk Hds for a long time without that ever happening.

I run big paddle tires with sometimes 16/39 or even 12/39 gearing and never slip.

Maybe just maybe, The clutch is grabbing so good your tires are spinning more....lol.

Ive never used marine oil, that may be your issue. I cant say for sure, Im a firm believer in oils just oil wether its synthetic or not.

But ive never had experience with marine oil.

Try to clean it up real good and use regular motor oil?

I have used regular motor oil when I first put it in, same deal. I switched to the marine oil cause my dad own a marina and gets it at cost.

on the rocks
05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
i run the same clutch set up and have no problems.

i run rotella T in my 4 wheeler, i would guess that its the oil causing the problem. try a new oil and see if it helps. might take a few warm up cycles to get the old oil out of the clutches. but try an oil meant for 4 4 wheeler where the oil is designed to run a wet clutch and lube bearings. i have even hers some oils are just too slick for wet clutches like that in the 400.