PDA

View Full Version : New to me 400ex clutch issues

matholland
05-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Hey guys...So I traded a 2000 cr250 for this 05 400ex. Apparantly it is a 416ex with a weisco 11:5:1 compression piston. I am assuming stock cam and crank. Anyway, I just got done adjusting the valves on it. I took it down the road before I adjusted them and the clutch doesn't let out until the lever is almost all the way out....it will move and go down the road, but when you hammer the throttle, its as if the clutch is still halfway engaged...the motor revs high and it pulls itself, but you can tell that it isn't engaging all the way. I checked the clutch perch, and it is adjusted all the way in, and the one along the side of the motor is adjusted all the way in...I am not sure why it still seems so tight...Any thoughts or suggestions before I start tearing the sidecase off?

CJM
05-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Probably bad clutch fibers. Id check the adjustment a bit and see if you can adjust it around and see if it helps. If not a tusk clutch from rocky mtn atv should be ok.

matholland
05-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Probably bad clutch fibers. Id check the adjustment a bit and see if you can adjust it around and see if it helps. If not a tusk clutch from rocky mtn atv should be ok.

Thanks man! I'll go ahead and pull it apart. I didn't realize that a worn clutch would cause that. It just seems like the clutch it halfway pulled in. I have always had good luck with tusk clutches. I appreciate the response!

CJM
05-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Yea your clutch is slipping if anything. The hammering the throttle part really makes me think thats it. Almost as if you hit the throttle and it just doesnt feel like its going anywhere.

matholland
05-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Yea your clutch is slipping if anything. The hammering the throttle part really makes me think thats it. Almost as if you hit the throttle and it just doesnt feel like its going anywhere.

That's what it was! I have always changed the clutch when it started moving in gear when you had the clutch in, jumping really bad when you put it into gear, and not wanting to go into neutral. The inner hub and clutch basket was grooved...Spent about 45 minutes with a file smoothing out every notch. Ordering a tusk clutch as we speak. Thanks for the help!

CJM
05-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Your welcome.

Be forewarned a new basket might be in your future only b/c filing off too much will make the plates move slightly more during operation. However for the price of the tusk clutch Id do the same till I saved for a new or found a good used basket

JOHNDOE83
05-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Your welcome.

Be forewarned a new basket might be in your future only b/c filing off too much will make the plates move slightly more during operation. However for the price of the tusk clutch Id do the same till I saved for a new or found a good used basket

Hey there buddy, your not allowed to give 400ex advice anymore.

Its the new rule, only 400ex owners can give advice "in any thread" on this forum...lol. jk :bandit:

I love tusk clutches.

CJM
05-13-2013, 01:44 PM
^ Funny funny John lol..