PDA

View Full Version : wat jet to go with

12-12-2001, 06:24 PM
I am getting a s bend slip on and am wonering what jet to get. I have very little experience wth jets and would like no how hard they are to install. I race in michigan and i get all my stuf from the place call dave bomens teck care and suspention. they sugest not gtting a knn for a off road vehicle caus they suck to much dirt . so give me your thoughts and opinions. I especially want to here from you if you have a s bend scilencer.

oynot400
12-12-2001, 07:05 PM
Jets are easly to change, just take the carb off and remove the bowl. Get your self a shop manual, it will pay for itself by not taking your bike to the shop for one visit. I am not sure what size to go to, you will have to read your plug.
As far as the K&N, that is what I run and have not had a problem. However some people will argue K&N vs UNI. In my opinion both are good filters. I have a UNI in my Big Red and the K&N in my 440. Just clean it on a regular basis and more often in dusty conditions. Do this and you will be fine no matter which filter you choose.

12-12-2001, 08:51 PM
easier way to change jets just take the plug out of the bottom of the bowl and a socket i think it's a 8mm will fit in and loosen the jet and you won't have to take off the carb and it only takes about 5 min to change

Wheelie
12-13-2001, 10:14 AM
If you keep the K&N filter well oiled and clean with an outerwear, you will not have any problems in dusty conditions.

K&N filter w/airbox mods and S-Bend silencer---40pj and a 155mj.

without airbox mods--150mj

To change your jets, remove the carb and the float bowl. The main jet takes a 6mm socket, the pilot takes a flat head screwdriver. The new 40pj will be a bit longer than the stock 38pj---this is normal.

Good Luck!!

400exJOE
12-13-2001, 01:15 PM
there is nothing wrong w/ a K&N. They are great filters and increase air flow greatly. Just make sure you run it with an outerwares or a precharger. As for jetting, I have a similer set up but my silencer is a Supertrapp IDS2 and I run a 155 main jet and it runs great.

12-13-2001, 05:26 PM
now i am thinking about getting a t 4 slip on s what about that jt. also is it really nessisary to tak the carb off.

Wheelie
12-13-2001, 05:34 PM
The same recommendations apply to the T-4.

Do you plan on running air filter vents, or running without an airbox lid? You can change the main jet without removing the carb, if you decide to change the pilot, then you would have to remove the carb. The same goes if you want to change the needle settings.

Taco
12-13-2001, 06:58 PM
geez i just have 3 3/8 holes in my stock exhaust baffle and my airbox lid i run a 155 main jet with everything else stock and i kill my friends 400exs that have the K&N jet kits. I think when i get my exhaust i will have to step up to maybe a 160 or 158 at least.