PDA

View Full Version : Recently acquired 1987 230 quadsport looking for direction

UT230quadsport
05-08-2013, 07:14 PM
I recently acquired a 1987 lt230s quadsport from a guy at work. so far I have repaired a crack in the transmission housing, a few linkages, and am now just trying to get it running well. My big question is if anyone knows where to get reasonably priced parts for it. Primarily fenders/body parts. I have been looking online and can't seem to find quite what I am looking for. I wouldn't be spending much time or money on this machine except that it is the same type that I had growing up and just have fond memories of the one I had. Anyway any help would be appreciated on where to find parts and maybe any suggestions on what can be done to make this a fun machine once again.

headache
05-10-2013, 01:22 PM
i've got an 88 lt230s. ebay is about all i've found for used parts, or u may be able to pick up a non running quad off craigslist. Parts are hard to come by for these quads. They are a blast tho. I have a wiseco piston and full cobra exhaust and uni filter on mine. It has so much low end torque. The main thing on these is to run good sprockets and chain, so it wont jump off and crack the stator cover like almost all of them have.

LTandRaptorider
05-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I've had good luck in the past for my LT250R with Midwest Action Cycle's OEM parts finder. That is for new stuff, of course. If you're looking strictly used, ebay would be your best bet as said. Or do a search for used ATV/cycle dealers. One in Ohio, their name escapes me at the moment. The Quadsport was a fun little quad! Good luck on getting yours going again.

CJM
05-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Dealer or ebay is about all you will fine. be wary, the chain likes to hop off the sprockets and damage the case beyond repair.

UT230quadsport
05-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the input. By running a good sprocket and chain what exactly do you mean by that? A high quality set or just constantly inspect to make sure that it is in good operating order or both? and in a good quality product can you recommend a brand. This is honestly my first quad in almost 20 years and am just getting back into it.

headache
05-11-2013, 10:46 AM
both! The angle of the swingarm and where the front sprocket is located in relation to the swingarm is the problem. its hard to keep the right tension amount on the chain. when the rear suspension is fully extended the chain is really loose but under normal load the chain is tight, and causes stretching of the chain, makes it easier for it to come off. Buy a high quality o-ring or xring chain and keep an eye on sprocket wear and youll be good to go.