PDA

View Full Version : Blown Gasket!! on 2002 300ex

yellowrider
12-12-2001, 05:52 PM
i have a lot of nasty lookin oil in front of my motor it is under my head pipe i notcied it a quit a while ago. but thought it was mud... well i start haveing to fell my oil up all the time. well i htought it was normal cause i ride through a lot of woods and i thought it could have just burn some oil or something well..... finally had the nerv to tell my parents what i did... to another 4 wheeler. he said i just blew a gasket.. well he knows alot about them so i did question his opinion. he was already upseat

do you think my warranty would cover that it is only like 2-3 months old and i have been taking care of this one i have been checkin oil cleaning the air filiter and everything.

does anybody have any ideas how i could have done that????

where the leak is ( under my head pipe like 3-4 inches.. there is no bolts there to tighted down if they became loose.

so what are your alls opinions about this?? is it something that i could have done like riding it to hard, it over heating, riding through creeks a little over my tires and it cooling off to fast.
oh and i have no mods on t he fourwheeler what so ever. and it still starts and runs fine after about 5 mins of warming it up.:mad: :( ;)

trx400ex
12-12-2001, 06:01 PM
mine seeps out every so slowly, it may not be a blown head gasket you have, all ya have to do anyway is.... take it apart,,,,,, ?machine the surface?,,,put in a new gasket and put it back together.. im not near an expert on this but someone smarter will probably reply...i dont know much about warrantys except that they do their best to cover almost nothing,,,although its the enigne and if its only a few months old you have a reallly good chance of it bein covered

yellowrider
12-12-2001, 06:36 PM
hey thanks for the reply....

this is really getting under my skin! everything i get i break. i try to take care of this one and i still broke soemthing i think. we atre going to try to take it to the shop first thing tomorrow when i get out of school. and winter break starts tomorrow. i have nothing to ride mom want let me ride theres. and we are supposed to go on a big trail saturday.. things arent lookin to good for me..

anybody have any ideas how this happend

12-12-2001, 06:45 PM
if it's a couple in. down from the head pipe it would be a blown base gasket,i would get it fixed before riding it anymore,honda should cover it caue it could bea factory defect,get it fixed soon

400exJOE
12-13-2001, 01:22 PM
Thats pretty crappy for a brand new quad. The warrenty should cover it though. One thing I know, you have to break in a new quad or you could have serious problems soon after. This might be the result of a bad break in. You are supposed to go real ease with it for the first 10 hrs or so and change the oil. Did you do this?

yellowrider
12-13-2001, 02:32 PM
umm to tell you the truth.... only thing i did was let it warm up and then went riding with mom for about a hour then got with some friends and then we went riding and i had to keep up so i just gave it all she had but not long periods of times. i opened it up for a couple seconds then left off and stuff like that.

besides my parents telling me to takie it easy people told me to ride it like i am going to always ride it. and dont baby it . so if anyting goes wrong i w0uld know now insteadd of when my warranty goes out.

some people told me to baby it for a while some people told me to give it hell for a while i just sorta split it up i gave it hell every now and then and also babied it.

yellowrider
12-13-2001, 04:07 PM
hey do you think how i broke it in caused this or something else. like a factory deffect ot something

i was trying to take a picture of it but we dont have any film that i can finf i know we have some i am going look for it so i can post it so you all will know what i am tlaking about

yellowrider
12-14-2001, 03:46 PM
hey i took it to the honda shop and 5 people came to look at it . first thing they said that dont look good. what happend . i said i dont know. and then they said yes get her off the truck then. they pushed her to the 4 wheeler lift they sprayed stuff off of it. still scrating there heads. saying they never seen anything like this before.

and they start askin me lots of question and after they got where they could see it reallky well they spayed alot cleaner on it i dont knokw what it was. then got the air compresser and was lookin for a crack . they did nodt find anything and was letting it run. for a whole they told me to bring it back to them anytoime if it did it again .. they told me it was not mud or dirt and i did the right thing bringing it to them.

now i am happy i am glad that i still got a 300ex!
:D

12-14-2001, 11:19 PM
i wish you could give a better discription of where the oil or crud was coming from. Like i said it sounds like the base gasket at the bottom of the cylinder. If the deck of the base is not flush or is uneven after riding for a while the deck area will expand from the heat and cause a leak,or it maybe a bad base gasket,either way if i was you i'd take it to another dealer if it does it again. Dealers only like to work on your ride if they gain money from it.

yellowrider
12-15-2001, 07:49 AM
well there is only one honda dealer around here. and the rest live far away. i willk try to get you a picture of it its gonna be sorta hard because where it is at. but when he was spraying iyt off he let me look with a flash light and i didnt see anyting there. but it was still kind of dirty so i couldnt reallky tell and then the other people that work there they looked at it to and just told me if it leaks again to bring it back.,...

well it is winter break for me . so i should know this week if it is gonna do it again. i am going to ride it and ride it. last night i left about 12 or 1 in the morning and we went riding pissed alot of people off. cause his has a e-series pipe and that thing is lOud..

12-16-2001, 12:15 AM
It can't just be good or normal if you constantly have to put more oil in. Dumb dealers don't know Jack Schit! And I know the guy. Jack is cool.:D

yellowrider
12-17-2001, 12:13 AM
this is not mine this is some dudes off here and they didnt let me take a pifcture of it the said it was usless so i am trying to give you soe idea