PDA

View Full Version : 2007 450er clutch/oil problem. please help!

my400exrules
05-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I recently purchased a 2007 450r. i love the quad and i have been a long time honda owner. I am having trouble with the clutch coasting once i put it in gear though. The first time it did this, it was after an oil change. I used mobil 1 fully synthetic oil for this change and i only rode the quad for 15 minutes tops on this oil change. It seems that once the oil got hot, once i shifted the quad from neutral to first gear with the clutch pulled in completely, the quad would drift forward heavily. I then changed the oil immediately with the honda gn4 oil and it seems the problem went away until the oil got hot once again. the problem is not nearly as bad but it is still a problem. it is also very hard to pop into neutral etc.
I also checked the clutch cable and it is adjusted correctly, but i have not went into the case yet to see what the clutch plates or anything look like. What do you guys think the problem is? Is there a couple things i can check to see if they are worn or something? Thanks in advance for the help!

CJM
05-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Worn clutch/clutch basket.

It creeps in gear with the clutch lever pulled in right?

Rich250RRacer
05-05-2013, 10:39 PM
As CJM said, worn basket.

my400exrules
05-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Worn clutch/clutch basket.

It creeps in gear with the clutch lever pulled in right?

correct, with the lever pulled in. also is there a way to check the basket? how do i tell if its worn?

Scro
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Pull the clutch cover, and then the pressure plate and steels/clutches. You're looking for grooves in the fingers of the basket where fingers of the plates ride against them. The edge of the fingers of the basket should be fairly smooth. Some people might recommend filing the grooves flat, but it's really just a band-aid and will groove again even faster. It's best to just replace the basket.

my400exrules
05-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Pull the clutch cover, and then the pressure plate and steels/clutches. You're looking for grooves in the fingers of the basket where fingers of the plates ride against them. The edge of the fingers of the basket should be fairly smooth. Some people might recommend filing the grooves flat, but it's really just a band-aid and will groove again even faster. It's best to just replace the basket.

thank you! whats a good basket to get? should i also replace my clutch plates and springs?

Scro
05-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I've always had good luck with Hinson basket, and everything else stock.

my400exrules
05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
I've always had good luck with Hinson basket, and everything else stock.

thank you! the help is much appreciated!

2001400exrida
05-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I recently purchased a 2007 450r. i love the quad and i have been a long time honda owner. I am having trouble with the clutch coasting once i put it in gear though. The first time it did this, it was after an oil change. I used mobil 1 fully synthetic oil for this change and i only rode the quad for 15 minutes tops on this oil change. It seems that once the oil got hot, once i shifted the quad from neutral to first gear with the clutch pulled in completely, the quad would drift forward heavily. I then changed the oil immediately with the honda gn4 oil and it seems the problem went away until the oil got hot once again. the problem is not nearly as bad but it is still a problem. it is also very hard to pop into neutral etc.
I also checked the clutch cable and it is adjusted correctly, but i have not went into the case yet to see what the clutch plates or anything look like. What do you guys think the problem is? Is there a couple things i can check to see if they are worn or something? Thanks in advance for the help!

At first I was going to tell you the mobil 1 synthetic was causing your issues. Unless you're running the 4t mobil 1 then you are not running a JASO MA approved oil. Stick with the gn4 on the clutch side, or run rotella on the clutch side. Also, i'm not sure how much adjustment you have made on the clutch cable, but don't hesitate to adjust it both ways and see if it helps or worsens your problem. Also, there is an adjustment down by the motor. It's right near where the lutch cable connects to the lever. If that lever is not fully engaging then your clutch will do what you are describing. I have on more than 1 ocassions picked up used atvs and found that even though the clutch handle was adjusted fine, the adjustment down by the motor was not set correctly and therefore the lever and spring on the motor weren't being pulled enough. It's very hard to move the lever on the motor by hand, but you should try to pull your clutch in and see if you still have more room to move with that lever on the motor. It's an easy fix and might save you some trouble.