PDA

View Full Version : Apex Pro MXR 100 Indetifiers?

tarmacblack
05-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi guys, I need some help.

I'm going to look at an Apex quad for my son this weekend and the guy doesn't know a whole lot about it. He says it's a 1996 but I'm guessing it's a 2006 as I can't find any online reference to a MY that old.

The engine in the quad leaked anti freeze into the case through the water pump seal, so the crank bearings need to be replaced. I'm having trouble finding info on whether or not the crank is rebuild-able nor have I had any luck locating a stock replacement crank for the 100. Can any of you give me some hints or point me in the right direction?

Also, are there certain identifiers that will let me know if it is infact a 100 mxr? I figure I can use the 10th digit in the VIN to determine the year. If I had a little more ammunition going into it I'd feel much better about making an offer. I'm no stranger to complete motor builds so the labor doesn't deter me at all, part sourcing and part cost however does.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight!

wickestangwv
05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Plenty of places to get parts Justin @ max rpm , Gary at g force just to name two

wickestangwv
05-03-2013, 09:44 AM
06 Are weird years FYI I have one and have all kids of issues trying to do suspension work

tarmacblack
05-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Well I bought it. The bike doesn't look like it was ridden much but the crank bearings that go into the case are completely siezed up, and the rod bearing is rough.

The quad is infact a 2006 but it is an AASCO model according to the graphics, Apex according to the title. I was under the impression that the PRO MXRs had front disc brakes, this one has front drums. Is it possible it's a PRO Shark and not a PRO MXR?

I'm going to take the calipers to the crank, rod, piston, and cylinder tomorrow to verify that it is infact a 100cc engine before I start ordering parts.

I'm pretty excited about it, I think it will turn into a great quad for my boy.

Again any tips, tricks comments or advice is greatly appreciated. I'll post some photos tomorrow.

-Rob

tarmacblack
05-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Here are some photos, it's a 100cc and I think I'm going to get away with doing a head case/crank bearings, and a cylinder hone. Parts will be ordered today and hopefully we have it running sometime next week!

Here are some photos:

http://www.intermountainriders.com/rob/image_1.jpeg

http://www.intermountainriders.com/rob/image.jpeg

wickestangwv
05-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Is there a possibility you could take a good picture of where the rear shock mounts to the frame? You could either post it here or email it to osbornej@lhd3.navy.mil. Just trying to do a little research on my frame and wondering about other 06's.

tarmacblack
05-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Is there a possibility you could take a good picture of where the rear shock mounts to the frame? You could either post it here or email it to osbornej@lhd3.navy.mil. Just trying to do a little research on my frame and wondering about other 06's.

Sure ill take one in the morning.

I have a handful of different weights and springs that came with the quad can anyone recommend the best setup for a stock machine?