PDA

View Full Version : Wiring issue

Stickman400
04-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Alright guys, I got tired of having my HIDs ran off the stock wiring harness and having to rev the piss out of the engine while they warmed up to keep them both lit. So awhile back I bought a DDM Tuning wiring harness for them that had a relay and fuse wired into it. Well I wired it up today and got it to work when I turned the key on with the engine off and they started and ran perfect. So I put the plastic back on and got it all put back together and started it up to move it across the shop and I hit the headlight switch and they didn't come on. My neutral light dimmed way down and then went out. So I pulled the main harness 15amp fuse and it was blown. I stuck a new fuse in and tried turning them on again with the engine off and it popped it immediately.

So wtf is wrong here? Why were they working at first with the engine off and then blew a fuse as soon as I started the engine? I have to go to work right now and don't get off 'till 11 tonight so I'll have to mess with it tomorrow. Thanks for any suggestions guys!

CJM
04-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Im thinking for whatever reason either theres a short somewhere or when running the engine the output of the stator combined with the lights warming up is too much.

Friend of mine just spliced his lights into the low or high part of the switch, no issues afaik.

Stickman400
04-26-2013, 07:06 PM
I think the stator isn't handling it. I had it wired straight up to the high beam wires before but you have to rev the engine up for a minute so they can warm up. Otherwise one will flicker and go out.

CJM
04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Id say so, stator can only spare like 50-60w or something like that at idle if I recall. Thats after running everything else related to the quad.

Zakradu398
04-27-2013, 07:07 AM
I had the same prob. Hit the lights, they didn't work and it killed the electrical(fuse). Mine ended up being a light wire had rubbed through its casing and was grounding out on the frame causing a dead short..

hondaREX
04-27-2013, 04:47 PM
sounds like a short to ground for sure. For my fan I ran a relay that was triggered by the high beam switch. That let me run a direct wire fused from the battery thru the relay to the fan so that it would have a bigger gage wire and not over load a stock circuit. Could use this to seperate your problem but u prob did that with the HID harness. Either way, u have an overload issue or a short.

Stickman400
04-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Well it was a short, because of my stupidity. I used spade connectors to connect the DDM harness to my stock wiring harness and it worked when I turned it on at first because the wires were separated. But after I seen they worked I just bunched all the wires up and taped them together, just like in the pic below. So obviously all the positive and negative wires were touching each other and shorting out on each other. I got so excited and ahead of myself when I got them to work that I forgot to tape them all off separate before taping the harness back up. I remembered that this morning after I read Zakradu's comment and knew that was what was wrong. So I went out and taped them off and put it back together and they work like a charm, turns on and run fine without having to rev the engine way up. Thanks for the help guys, even though it was my own fault. It seems like every time I come on here for help it turns out to be my own stupidity.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/20130427_110544_zpsf0fde32d.jpg (http://s683.photobucket.com/user/Stickman400/media/Quad%20Pics/20130427_110544_zpsf0fde32d.jpg.html)