PDA

View Full Version : Swing-arm Pivot bolt stuck - Help!

86Rrider
04-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Hey guys, looking for some help/advise here: the '87 I'm helping my nephew rebuild has the swing arm pivot bolt stuck in it. The bolt turns easily but will not pull-out, nor will it drive-out with a brass drift and large hammer. So, I'm assuming that one of the inner bearing races has froze to the bolt. Anyone got a good method for getting the bolt out to remove the swing arm?

Like heat it with a torch? Cut the bolt at the arm-frame gap? Any secret "un-stick" methods?

Thanks for any advise anyone can offer.

312R1
04-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Use a saw and cut it between the frame and swingarm. Its a pain in the a** but thats the only way.

-Steve

jcs003
04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
soak it with penetrating lube for a couple days. keep applying and tap with a hammer every time you apply to help penetrate and break the rust bond. then heat with mapp gas after the couple days of lubing while hitting with a hammer. if this doesnt work then you will have to cut the bolt.

john

deathman53
04-23-2013, 03:55 PM
I tried it using penetrating oil, it didn't work. I spread the frame slightly and cut the bolt on both sides, removed swingarm and cut the bushing on both sides of the motor mount.

86Rrider
04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys! I kind of figured that was where I was going to end up, but I wanted to check and see if anyone had a special method that worked better! Once I get it out, I'll let you know which method I had to use...