PDA

View Full Version : Chain adjustment

pacman
04-22-2013, 06:39 PM
NOOB question # 5:
How to adjust a chain on a quad with a tensioner.

I know how to adjust a dirt bike chain, but what are the general steps to adjusting a chain that has a chain tensioner?

selbygirl
04-24-2013, 06:55 AM
I would make the chain as lose as possible , let the chain tensioner do all the work , im around 180 pounds and when I would ride the I could feel the chain chinken , get a good after market tensioner , if the chain is to tight it may mess up your tranny gears and may break your chain ; I would put blocks of wood under the tensioner and put my wgt on the back of bike, I would put a lot of tension on it , plus put your kid on your bike see how the chain looks then push down on the grab bar and see where the chain is if its loose like its going to come off make it tighter , the swing arm is allways moving up and down from jumping

pacman
04-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks! To clarify, you're saying to put my son on the quad and also push down on the grab bar to simulate full travel? In this position, the chain tensioner should be extended and the chain should be snug but not too tight? This is the position that I should be checking chain tension?

nastynotchback1
04-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Mark at Hot Quads told me this.

Find where the chain is at it's tightest.On mine that is when it is completely bottom out.I take a ratchet strap and pull the swinger all the way up with it.Then i tighten the chain.Also make sure your aftermarket chain tensioner does not hit the swing arm and gets full travel.Also try to get it as close to the rear sprocket as you can.

pacman
04-24-2013, 04:46 PM
ok thanks.