PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a FMF Gold Series Fatty Pipe Problem

warthoga5
04-21-2013, 07:15 PM
I am working on my first 250r right now trying to get it ready to hit the dunes next month. Granted, I am pretty much a complete novice when it comes to mechanics, so forgive me if I am way off base on anything. I am trying to get my exhaust squared away and I have run into a bit of a problem. The bike came with a FMF Gold series SST Pipe and Q silencer, but the pipe doesn't look like it fits right to me.

When line up the spring hooks on the first part of the pipe with the expansion chamber and hook the springs to the flange, the pipe gets pulled over to the left, making contact with the frame and doesn't sit flush on the flange. Now if I rotate the first part of the pipe 180 degrees, the the pipe clears the frame, but the hooks are no longer lined up to be able to connect the springs. To me, it looks like whoever assembled the pipe that day welded the hooks on the wrong side of the pipe, but being a complete novice, I figured I would see what you guys can make of it.

I don't have any pictures, but long and short is that if it is installed where everything lines up, it juts too far to the left and connects with the frame. If I flip the pipe around, nothing lines up, but it runs towards the center of the frame.

And a second question, does anybody have any advice on where to get rubber mounts for the exhaust or a good effective way of making them. There are none left on this bike.

Thanks!!!

deathman53
04-23-2013, 05:56 AM
I believe that fmf makes 2 series of pipes for 250r's, one is for a 86 frame, other is for 87-89 frames. That may be your issue.