PDA

View Full Version : Trying to help my idiot friend fix his 04 450r, 250/2 swap maybe

rbgnwa45
04-18-2013, 10:46 AM
My best friend, although he's (we're) 25 and not new to the sport at all but it is his first quad (he has utilities, lives on a farm), blew up his 04 450r after 4 days because he tried to ride it WITHOUT OIL! He doesnt use the clutch to shift and the first day he got it the clutch cable was so tight it was 3/4 of the way engaged and so it would barely move. i could hit the limiter and move 2 feet. my friend said "i thought thats how fast it was", are you kidding me? so i loosened it within 5 minutes and its perfect, i find out he rode it like that for hours through the woods or about 15 miles. I wasn't able to get it to shift past 1st gear because of the 3/4 engaged clutch. IDIOT! this all reeeally pisses me off because hes a total moron but none the less im trying to help him get back on it. He tried to tell me that the plug must have fallen out but I clearly remember us NOT putting oil in it after removing it, it's not like he bought any. HE RODE IT THE NEXT DAY LIKE THAT, all while knowing the front end needs bearings and the front has a wobble. He spent $2500 on a busted up POS that some teenager abused (which is why he sold it - 5th gear doesnt work! he didnt even consider tranny problems!) and put himself $1500 over drawn with his bank. He's still about $750 over drawn and is paying monthly interest (which is was "unaware" of).

It seized last ... sept? oct? he cant afford $1500+ to fix it, its right seized. i told him to buy a 250/2 for a swap so he doesnt F himself over later.

what do you think? what would the costs be to have a shop do a swap?

either way its too much power for him but running things by him like "you know you'll have to clean the air filter often and adjust the valves every 50 hours and get a new piston, rings, gaskets, valves once or twice a year?" He didn't seem like he'd be doing any of that. I think he would but there isn't much hope for this guy.

He doesn't even shift properly. Nevermind not using the clutch, he doesn't shift properly even without the clutch. It's embarassing! HE ISNT NEW TO SHIFTING OR QUADS AT ALL. :scary:

I was going to help him pay for either a 250/2 swap or a new 450 engine, either way he said if I do that he'd do 50/50 ownership as it's only worth $1250 (CAD) as it sits IMO. Id rather do a swap.

He did make it look 100 times better, though. He shaved the front fenders perfectly and painted the red plastics black. It looks sick.

rbgnwa45
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
... I may just buy it from him for $1000 lol. I don't want to F him over but I'd say he's already done it to himself. :rolleyes:

rbgnwa45
04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Him buying a 125/2 isn't out of the question. He prefers quads but knows the cost difference and I told him I was going to buy a 250/2 anyways. I can say with 100% certainty he would get throttle happy and flip it. I kind of want to see it. He has never ridden a dirtbike but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make it look as awkward.

JOHNDOE83
04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
LOL

Buy him a 80cc or 150cc 4 stroke dirt bike and put the motor in his quad chassis.

or maybe even a 150 pit bike motor without a clutch.

chronicsmoke
04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Its gonna cost a small mint to make a hybrid after you figure out the exhaust and intake anyway.. I'd say save up money and fix the thumper.

a 250 2T would be sick in a 450 though, I will admit and have thought about it should my engine implode on itself

JOHNDOE83
04-18-2013, 01:30 PM
actually I did my 2stroke swap including motor for less then $900.

I did all my own fab work and bought all my stuff from ebay and home depot, a friend did some minor exhaust welding.

Maybe the cr250 was a easy swap cpmpared to others but mine was easy and inexpensive

chucked
04-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Id love to do this

MX MaNiAc 06
04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
uhh

dxcody
04-19-2013, 12:04 AM
I can see the oil thing.. Ya know you come home and just bought a new quad.. He probably didn't think to check it. Either way it is a dumb mistake but I am just saying I can see how it happened..

He must have never worked on anything lol

chronicsmoke
04-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
actually I did my 2stroke swap including motor for less then $900.

I did all my own fab work and bought all my stuff from ebay and home depot, a friend did some minor exhaust welding.

Maybe the cr250 was a easy swap cpmpared to others but mine was easy and inexpensive

The key is finding the engine and electronics which on a non perfect day will set you back 800, then a pipe (100), then you have to figure the intake out, then fab the install.

Someone with limited fab skills and someone who doesn't have access to a fabshop is going to pay way more than the price you did to build a hybrid compared to rebuilding the thumper. That's the way I see it anyway! :p

I had a CR250 and was planning on stuffing it into the 400ex but I said eff that and put the money into the 450.

rbgnwa45
04-19-2013, 03:19 PM
I can see the oil thing too, however we didn't buy oil and he pretty much couldn't ride it because of the wobble, flat tires, etc.

I really wish Honda would take the 400ex engine design and double the cylinder (800 twin), add liquid cooling, EFI and put it into a 450r chassis. God sometimes I think Honda just isn't with the program. Not even an 800, make the current 400ex 500cc and make a 1000 twin out of the single 500. Look at the phazer 500, it's making like 80HP!

rbgnwa45
04-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Here you go.

http://www.atvriders.com/images/arcticcat/arcticcat2008thundercat1000pressintro/thundercat1000utilityatvengine.jpg

+

http://ktmdirtquestions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2011-KTM525XC_ATV-ktm.com_.jpg