PDA

View Full Version : New cam + new piston break in

qc dsm tsi
04-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Ok, I know there is no "right" way to break in a motor, ask 100 different builders and get 99 different answers.

However, reading the break in procedure for the Hotcams stage 2, it says not to idle, keep RPMs above 3000.

What I have used before with new piston, is start the bike, let it warm up. Shut it off, let it cool down. Start it back up let it warm up, and then ride it like you plan to.

I am sure many people break in the cam and piston at the same time... what is your procedure?

Thanks,

Zakradu398
04-17-2013, 08:10 AM
I did piston and Cam at the same time. To break it in I rode it normally like I would(rev limiter) then changed the oil .

blacknblue#2
04-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
I did piston and Cam at the same time. To break it in I rode it normally like I would(rev limiter) then changed the oil .

Agreed. Break it in how its gonna be rode every time its rode.

CJM
04-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Warm up for ten mins, go beat the hell out of it riding like you stole it and then shut it down and change oil.

qc dsm tsi
04-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Sounds good, thanks guys

2001400exrida
04-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Warm up for ten mins, go beat the hell out of it riding like you stole it and then shut it down and change oil.

That's way too long for a warm up.

When breaking in, you most definitely do not want to let the quad sit for 10 min and idle. Get on it. start it up, warm it up until she doesn't act cold, then run through some gears, after 5 min. or so of time under load, it will be fully warm and you can beat the heck out of it..

Also remember to decel through the gears when you're off the throttle. here's a nice long explination of proper break in.

this topic is definitely controversial you will hear all types of opinions on it.

http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=117

CJM
04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Right. How many quad did you build now? None of my builds ever failed breaking them in . Not warming it up will cause problems.

Why infact the very revered motoman states EXACTLY what I said.. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

But hey wtf do I and one of the best sites about breaking engines in on the net know?

2001400exrida
04-24-2013, 02:39 PM
i've done 6 pistons since you're asking CJM.

Fact is, this is a very controversial topic and there are many methods, but i for one do not let a new machine sit and idle for 10 minutes. It needs to be under load, not high revs, but at least rpming up and down.

some guys do heat cycles as well. like i said, lots of opinions on this, don't get your manties in a wad.

trailrider894
04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
ha ha called up my buddy who works out of a dealer here in Missouri and he said that the method listed on mototuneusa.com is what they live by. Plus i've done a dozen's or more pistons on all different types of bikes and atv's, done them all the same way and never had issues. So yeah, 6 pistons doesn't prove a method. The guys that do it for a living do hundreds and have been doin it this way for years just the way CJM suggested.

blacknblue#2
04-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Not meaning to add fuel to the fire here but a 10 minute IDLE iss too long on a new top end. The rings need backpressure or they will never seat. I agree you want some heat in the motor before you start thrashing but your best to take it out in a field hold it wide open until 5th gear then start shifting down instead of using the brakes. Let the backpressure of the motor slow ya down

CJM
04-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Im not sure where you guys live, but here in NJ it takes approx 10 mins for the quad to fully warm up sitting there idling. I judge this by placing my hand on the oil tank. If I can touch the tank and its warm we are good to go.

Thats the key, gotta fully warm it up before you go out and run it through the gears.

2001400exrida
04-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
ha ha called up my buddy who works out of a dealer

There's problem #1

Originally posted by CJM

Go back to your hole Ryan. We dont want you here!

As mentioned several times this topic is controversial and there's no reason to throw a fit when somebody gives a different opinion.

Please don't speak for the entire forum, CJM, i know you have 10,000 posts, but let us discuss.

I'm not saying 10 minutes of idle time is going to cause the motor to fail, i'm just saying that first 10 minutes is very important for ring seating. I personally let mine idle for a few minutes and then go through some gears, after about 5-10min. of total run time (not just idle) i unleash the beast.

what's funny is that hotcams even says do not idle for the break-in....gee?

CJM, cool you jets man there's no reason for crap talking, we're trying to have a friendly discussion, if you don't like my input just ignore it.

chronicsmoke
04-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Seriously, keep the BS off of exriders.. don't mistake this as a personal attack.

You troll enough other sites, focus on those. You came here for drama and drama alone. You came here to settle the score with CJM and you've called him out in all of his recent posts. Grow the **** up Ryan your 30 years old for **** sakes.

Everyone is tired of seeing arguments in every single thread. Yes it takes two to tango but don't go looking for it :ermm:

2001400exrida
04-25-2013, 10:35 AM
excuse me? so this is what happens when a guy gives his 2 cents?

you should have pm'd me with your response since it has nothing to do with this thread. please PM me in the future so you don't junk up a great thread.

blacknblue knows what i'm referring too, we are discussing this topic chronic so please do not use this thread to attack me and call me a troll, i'm posting on this forum with my experience and opinion.

again, if you feel like attacking me, take it to PM