PDA

View Full Version : steam out crankcase breather

outacontrol
04-15-2013, 07:52 PM
I freshened up my 450r last month with a new JE piston, timing chain, and swapped out my web cam with crf cam. Also changed all gaskets and valve seals. Shimmed valves and it fires up in 2 kicks and runs excellent. Here is the problem:
When it warms up it starts steaming out the crankcase breather in the airbox. I thought i had gotton antifreeze in the bottom end, so i have changed both the engine oil twice and tranny oil. All fluids are keeping level and not overfilled. I get no smoke/steam out of exhaust at all. I verified its coming from the crank side of the hose and not valve cover. The steam has a sweet smell which makes me think its antifreeze. This quad was running perfect before the tear down, and the cylinder looked great, and I checked ring gap etc. Any ideas what to check? I even rode it around for 10 mins to see if the steam would stop and it doesnt. I asked a local mechanic and he is stumped too

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Is it possible that your waterpump mechanical seal is bad? Your coolant might be mixing with your oil. Something to possible check/replace.

outacontrol
04-16-2013, 05:40 PM
ordered the parts for the water pump today, its worth a shot. I dont have high expectations since it was fine before the tear down, but at this point ill try anything. if anyone else has tips id be glad to hear them

suspension101
04-17-2013, 07:21 PM
No way it's the water pump seal. even if it did fail and get into your oil its going into the transmission oil. Not the engine oil. Could just be condensation from the coolant you dropped in there when doing the top end. Ride it hard for a day and it should go away.

outacontrol
04-17-2013, 07:25 PM
ok ill try that. i thought by draining both oils it would eliminate it, but ill take your advice. thanks

outacontrol
05-26-2013, 07:00 PM
ok ill try that. i thought by draining both oils it would eliminate it, but ill take your advice. thanks

Changed water pump shaft and seal and put in normal antifreeze not engine ice, and the steaming never came back. So one of those items fixed my issue. thanks for the help guys.