PDA

View Full Version : +2 arms/rear axle set up

Zhutch7
04-15-2013, 10:21 AM
I am thinking about going with +2 a-arms and doing some upgrading on the rear axle. What would be my best bet here? +2 arms, and spacers in the rear? Or am I better off to get an aftermarket rear axle as well as the +2 a-arms? I have never done this before so I was wanting to get some advice from a few of you guys on here with experience in this circumstance. Thanks in advance.

Zhutch7
04-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Also, if I do get +2s am I going to need to get aftermarket shocks as well? Cause if that is the case I am not going to do that.

400Trooper
04-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Zhutch7 - With the +2 a-arms you can get either standard or long travel arms, meaning you can run stock length shocks. IMO if you going to go +2 arms that aren't long travel get some TRX 450R shocks or YFZ 450R shocks, the stock 400EX shocks just suck! You appreciate the difference immediately.

The rear axle, get a G-Force adjustable. They are great and not stupid expensive like many of the other aftermarket one, that do bend BTW.

If you looking to upgrade your suspension and not spend a whole bunch of money, my recommendations are probably the less expensive and bet bang for the buck.

Also......don't ever ride anyone's quad that is long travel, with elka shocks, +2 - +3 A-arms, extended rear swing arm, long travel shock with link......cause if you do......you will HATE not having the LT stuff!!!

Best of luck!
400Trooper

Zakradu398
04-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by 400Trooper

Also......don't ever ride anyone's quad that is long travel, with elka shocks, +2 - +3 A-arms, extended rear swing arm, long travel shock with link......cause if you do......you will HATE not having the LT stuff!!!

Best of luck!
400Trooper

This times 29837984623708650284352345234

Zhutch7
04-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies. Some people overlook this stuff and never reply. Thank you.

JOHNDOE83
04-19-2013, 10:14 AM
The G force axle is awesome!!!

I bent my stock axle pretty quick doing big jumps.

The G force axle I have has had LOTS of abuse, Ive wrecked at 65mph the ATV litterally tumbled end over end, front bumper to back bumper, popping the tires off the bead, bent the rims, litterally went almost 85ft doing this.

The axle?

Straight as a arrow.

The crome came off pressure cleaning it over a year later. "who cares"

$199+free shipping with a lifetime warranty.

Zhutch7
04-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Wow, The Lord was definitely watching over you. Sounds like the axle is a good buy, and the lifetime warranty is a plus.

crazya**400exer
04-19-2013, 11:52 AM
get the g force axle and lonestar a arms
I have both and love them

slightlybent47
04-21-2013, 07:30 PM
I have +2 but not long travel, on the front of mine and had a +4 on the rear. After breaking the rear axel on a big step up, it broke at the place where the C ring keeper is.
I put the stocker back in and now the front is wider then the rear.

An interesting happened when I went back to the stocker.
With a narrow rear axel, it comes out of the corners much faster and hoocks up better then it did with the wider axel.
With the wider axel, I can go into the corners a little faster but it spins more coming out.

I’m very surprised that with the stock axel and the wide front end it still corners very well.
I just got back from a woods riding trip and liked the narrower axel on the rear. The reason I like it is like I said it comes out of the corners better and hooks up faster, but also when maneuvering in tight trees it worked better. Once the front clears the tree I don’t have to worry about the rear clipping the tree.

I still hit the big jumps with the stocker and it’s held up just fine, though I have bent a stock axel before.

Get a rear axel that you can adjust so you can have the best of both worlds.

slightlybent47
04-21-2013, 07:33 PM
One more thing, never, and I mean, never use spacers on your quad.

Zhutch7
04-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Alright thanks! Why not spacers? I'm not doing any racing but I want it wider.

slightlybent47
04-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Spacers are weak; there is a lot of stress on an axel and hubs, even without jumping.
Slamming through whoops, hitting rocks, ruts, holes, logs, stumps and so on will break spacers.
Your life depends on good quality parts.
Think about it, if I can break an axel, there’s no way a spacer will hold up.

Zhutch7
04-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Yeah that's true man. I just don't wanna spend a bunch of money. I'm on a college student's budget lol.

slightlybent47
04-21-2013, 10:01 PM
I found all my parts used. I got them from people I trust and see and race with on a regular basses so I felt sure the parts would be good.
I saved a lot of money buying used parts.

I defiantly would do the front first. Having the front wider is way better then the other way around. And you may be very happy with just doing the front.

jpresslor
05-19-2013, 06:45 PM
get the alba +2 arms u can use stock shocks or later if u have the money go to the long travel thats what i did and i havent had a problem yet and the kit cost 430 on ebay comes with brakeline tie rods and all new balljoints plus u can set up for what kind of ridin u do and i aslo went with a tusk g force axel +2 or +4 and i have it on the +4 and it looks perfect with the +2 a arms and i only spent 630 for all but remember by doing this it will be harder to turn or at least thats what i think