PDA

View Full Version : Spin-off: 00' front plastic cut help/pic's

KKiowaTJ
04-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I have had it awhile and IMO i get just as much in my face, But dont get to see the tire, Terrain. I broke the stocker braces off of the fender to bad to save it, So to match i want to cut them.

I like more of a body/stream line front end, Not have the two points showing but still up in the air. Just curious if anyone wouldnt mind posting up pic's of their 00' era plastic cut?

I plan on using a jig-saw, 1500 grit or better and the quick torch method i have read about, But just looking for clairification so i dont make it look like poo. Like what exactly to ues?

Gonna let my pop cut them as he has always done the small, Dont miss 'one shot' items and just want to show him "that" look and have a good turn out plus he has patience and a steady hand, I have neither lol.

Figure cut on the bike so it looks good there too, Or a no no? Thanks for any pic's and help you can give

JOHNDOE83
04-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Dont use a jig saw, dont use a torch, dont use sand paper, thats just silly.

Use a 4in or 4 1/2in grinder, put a metal cut off wheel on it, you wont need any sanding, no torching and youll be done in 5 min.

The grinder cuts smooth and straight and actually can be used to sand the edges off.

If you use the grinder and see plastic build up like melted plastic, dont worry it pops right off.

Ive cut dozens of plastic like this, it is truly the best method.

A jig saw will not cut straight or smooth and a torch might cause damage.

KKiowaTJ
04-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Dont use a jig saw, dont use a torch, dont use sand paper, thats just silly.

Use a 4in or 4 1/2in grinder, put a metal cut off wheel on it, you wont need any sanding, no torching and youll be done in 5 min.

The grinder cuts smooth and straight and actually can be used to sand the edges off.

If you use the grinder and see plastic build up like melted plastic, dont worry it pops right off.

Ive cut dozens of plastic like this, it is truly the best method.

A jig saw will not cut straight or smooth and a torch might cause damage.

Can a regular cut off wheel tool work as well? Dont really want to FUBAR it and have a grinder and most fab tools.

Yeah i can see if you tape it off correct, You can flush up to the hard line as you cut and then to back over and lightly hit it. Guess ill give it a try, Only thing im worried about is my big compressor is down and it wont keep up but for 13 seconds lol.

Plus 5/10 mins sounds better. Hope your method dont **** me bud lol :D , But i guess its in the cutters hand as to the finished product. Thanks for the info

CJM
04-12-2013, 04:18 PM
File the edge if you have too then take a torch and heat slightly if the plastic discolors.

JOHNDOE83
04-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
Can a regular cut off wheel tool work as well? Dont really want to FUBAR it and have a grinder and most fab tools.

Yeah i can see if you tape it off correct, You can flush up to the hard line as you cut and then to back over and lightly hit it. Guess ill give it a try, Only thing im worried about is my big compressor is down and it wont keep up but for 13 seconds lol.

Plus 5/10 mins sounds better. Hope your method dont **** me bud lol :D , But i guess its in the cutters hand as to the finished product. Thanks for the info

no cutting back over, you want to plunge cut it.

I stay a hair off the line so if I do mess up a lil bit theres some room to shave it back.

you can use the grinder blade like a sander also.

Go all the way through on the first cut this keeps the blade straight the whole time your cutting.

If you have a dremel type tool with a cut off wheel you can try that in a un noticeable spot, thats actually what i used the first time, halfway through and 3 dremel blades later i used the grinder.

I laughed because it was so fast and easy.

slightlybent47
04-13-2013, 08:30 AM
I used a jig saw and I didn’t have to sand much of anything. I simply ran some electrical tape down the seam and cut the finder, the width of the tape from the seam. It took all of 5 minuets to complete the job.
I just tried to follow the seam and keep it the same as the front edge.

http://i50.tinypic.com/34y4i6b.jpg