PDA

View Full Version : unstable at high speeds

99400ex
03-16-2003, 09:34 AM
i just go a 400ex this morning and i was riding it on the road and when i would get going kinda fast it will vibrate real bad and it gets worse the faster i go. it seems like its somthing in the front end cause the most movement is in the handle bars and i can see the front tires kinda wobbling back and forth. thanks. sorry if its not to clear it was kind of hard to explain

AtvMxRider
03-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Were you on a paved road? If so it is going to do that.

QuadTrix6
03-16-2003, 09:52 AM
check all your bolts !!

muff
03-16-2003, 10:16 AM
i think your tie rod ends need to get tightened

AtvMxRider
03-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Is your mouth open?......:blah Try closing your mouth than test ride it.

NoWingNoPrayer
03-16-2003, 10:59 AM
hmm the tires might have flat spots in them.

REC
03-17-2003, 03:04 AM
get a steering stablizer!

zfire_28
03-17-2003, 05:22 AM
I noticed that mine did this a little at high speeds till I shaved my front fenders, the wind catching in the front fenders can be rough sometimes.

Extremeracer167
03-17-2003, 05:50 AM
Yeah like Muff said, check your tie rod ends. Or your front rims could have a slight bend in them

Tommy 17
03-17-2003, 06:26 AM
did the honda place put slime in the tires??? if so its stickin to the tires due to centrifical force (sp?) and it makes them outta balance... it happened on mine when it was new... took out the slime and it was perfect

DEAL
03-17-2003, 06:34 AM
Mine used to sway all over the place when I was going WFO , it was kinda scary. Once I shaved my plastic it went away.

Str8Wicked
03-17-2003, 06:41 AM
I never have any problem before or after I shaved my fenders.... This is off paved roads thou. I wouldn't really want to go FOT on a paved surface anyways. But if your saying the tires are wobbling back and forth it is not the balancing... The balancing would make the tire hop more than move side to side... Check your tie rods and all steering components to make sure they are tight...

4Wheels
03-17-2003, 08:22 AM
A dent in your rim (a big dent) set wheel of balance?
I had that problem
JZ

Ex'r Marlin
03-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Just a thought... I know if you have your tires toed in versus pointing straight, the atv can become unstable at higher speeds.

Recommendations:
1) With front tires on the ground, move your handle bars left to right. Feel and look for any looseness. (ie. tie rod ends). Correct (tighten) where needed.

2) Check front end alignment. Keep handlebars centered, and observe where the tires are pointing. If adjustment is required, loosen the jam nuts on the tie rods and rotate tie rod either in or out with a wrench to desired position. Tighten jam nuts.

3) Support the front of your atv off the ground allowing your tires to be suspended. Rotate your front tires and look for "wheel hop" or for tires/rims being out of round, or out of true. Small amount of "out of round" is normal... Too much may cause your atv to be unstable at high speeds.

Good luck!:)

luvmyex
03-17-2003, 09:53 AM
I would say its a bent rim.Maybe a bearing is bad if you cant find anything else.

99400ex
03-17-2003, 11:15 AM
all the bolts are tight and i cant find anything thats loose or moves. the rims are fine and i wasnt on pavement. i talked to a friend who knows the guy who owned it before me, since i bought it from a dealer i dont know who owned it before me anyway he said when they sold it needed ball barings in the front. is that like wheel bearings or does he not know what he talking about? it wobbles so bad that i have to slow down or it feels like im gonna lose control would bearings be the problem? if so how do i check them? i checked everything you guys said to and none of it was the problem. Thanks for the help

99400ex
03-17-2003, 12:18 PM
nevermind my last post. i think i found the problem. i looked at my rims and they looked good but i just barely decided to pick up the front and spin the tire and it wobbles alot so i guess i need new front rims.