PDA

View Full Version : Discussion - Internet TV instead of cable

quad2xtreme
04-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Wondering who had firsthand experience using Internet TV instead of cable. This isn't so much for me but a family member asking for advice so he can lower his bills more without having his family revolt against him.

My brother lives within 15 miles of downtown Orlando. I am sure he can get the major 4 channels with just an HD antenna. What are his options for recording this way...assuming there might be something that his wife would want to record that doesn't make it to Hulu or Netflix? Are there decent DVR recorders setup for this...and do they come with a tv guide to make it easy to record?

He will keep his high-speed Time Warner Internet. I was recommending Hulu Plus or Netflix. Is one better than the other for regular TV shows that they can watch OnDemand? He doesn't care much about watching old movies, Showtime, HBO, or any of that. He is pretty limited to cartoons for his kids, major 4 networks, Discovery, and History. Are TV shows on Netflix commercial free? They aren't on Hulu Plus. Not sure if you can fast forward through them or not. I know commercial breaks are often only 30 seconds anyhow when shows are put on the Internet.

We checked out Discovery.com. It seems the major shows are available via Internet so that one is covered. They really offer it OnDemand as long as you don't wait too long to watch an "aired" episode.

Not sure if anyone covers History channel or not. I still need to research that one.

Honestly if this went well enough, I'd have to consider giving up DirecTV. I can afford it but it still bugs me that I basically pay $70 a month to watch Supercross in HD...and now I find it on Youtube in HD about a day later anyhow. To get SpeedHD, I am forced into a $70 package I don't need...even the basic $55 would be enough if not for the Speed channel (which isn't even available in non-HD in the lower end package).

If you know of any one-time purchases to make it easier, let me know...you know, some magic black box you hookup to the Internet and your TV.

Thanks for any help.

quad2xtreme
04-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Been researching, comparing and contrasting, and even doing some testing.

HD air antennas offer a clearer picture over DirecTV or cable companies. You are getting a 1080P broadcast signal...like a BluRay disc. It is definitely clearer.

It appears that TiVo is the only DVR that allows an air antenna to come in and offers a recording menu. The cost is $15 a month plus $170 for the box. This gets you the 4 major networks plus a bunch of smaller religious type broadcasts. The costs start to expand when you want to watch those recordings in other rooms. Another $90 for each box plus $5 a month in service charges (and additional money to run Ethernet via coax if you house isn't wired for Ethernet connections to each TV location). For 4 rooms, you are at $30 a month. If you add Netflix or HuluPlus for on-demand and movies you are at about $40 a month.

With DirecTV, you can get a DVR and 3 other HD receivers for $55 a month which gives access to on-demand TV shows and older movies.

JOHNDOE83
04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
I dont know why but I hate watching tv type vids and movies on a computer.

hulu and net flix are cool but all the good stuff you kinda have to watch online which I hate doing. "I dont know why"

If I were able to hook my computer to my tv then the problem would be solved. " I guess"

I wish I could get away with just internet, I like to be able to just turn on the tv and know the news is gonna be on or cops or top gear, simpsons...etc.

I dont wanna have to search for it and download it, buffering...etc.

So I dont know what to do :confused:

wfo4rv
04-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Get cable with Apple TV. That's what u have best of both worlds