PDA

View Full Version : If you could buy a new truck....

exrider12
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
If you could buy a new truck what would it be and why? My dad is trying to figure out what one to buy.

He's not looking for anything more than a 2500. He seems to be a big fan of Ford Raptors and the GMC 2500HD Denali gasser.

We just have our boat that we tow but other than that we'd just be using the bed for stuff.

Thoughts?

81dasher81
04-10-2013, 04:37 PM
im a GM guy, so i would lean towards the denali.. dont get me wrong the raptor is a sweet machine, just not built for towing.. (they still look fun though.) towing with a 3/4 ton is much nicer than with a half ton in my opinion simply because thats what they are built for, and the 4.10 gears give it a little more power to the ground as well. i dont mean to get a brand war going here, thats just my opinion haha

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Currently selling my Cummins to buy an '06 or '07 LBZ Duramax. Diesel over gassers any day of the week.

Honda.rider5871
04-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Out of the two you mentioned I would go for the raptor, towing wouldn't be a problem even though its a half ton, the 6.2l has over 400hp. In my experiences Fords are more of a workhorse motor and tow very well, while chevys have to have the rpms revving before any real power is made. The ride quality would be far superior on the raptor also considering it has FOX suspension. The Raptor is also one of the best looking trucks on the road IMO. Personally I wouldn't buy a 3/4 ton truck with a gasser, in my experiences the diesel option is the way to go. With all that being said the only way I could see you needing a 3/4 gasser over the raptor is if you need an 8ft bed. Either way you will be happy, as long as yoy buy AMERICAN

KKiowaTJ
04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Id go for a toyota tundra crew cab TRD with the 5.7l. Gets 22mpg DD and will net 16-18mpg towing. Plus thet have the best resale value of any truck besides the taco or any toyota.

Ford craptor is a joke. Just that much more money to fix all the time and the coil-overs used are cheapened up like walmart items. Better off with a f150 and a raptor grill conversion.

Im a MOPAR/Jeep guy and also have a ZR2, But if i had the cash i would have bought a TRD. They take very little to maintain, Parts price is decent and can out do most trucks on the road.
To each his own, You gotta make the payments not me, Good luck

coryatver
04-10-2013, 05:42 PM
new dodge 1500 diesel is going to be sweet! Raptors are a joke to me can't even fit a quad in the back with a little 5 1/2 foot bed

blacknblue#2
04-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Coming from a guy that's owned diesels and switched to gas don't let anyone talk you into a diesel if all you pull is a boat on some weekends. When diesel made its brake thru it was because diesel was cheaper and got better mileage. Well that's gone out the window. Diesel is higher per gallon, dpf fluid is required on the new trucks and with all the egr bullcrap the fuel mileage of the new diesel ain't that good anymore. Now with that being said if your lookin to buy a truck and spend a little more money for the dpf delete stuff you can get the good mileage back. I have several show tractors that I haul maybe 3 times a year. 1 of them weighs 12k. If I was pulling it every week then yeah I woulda stuck with a diesel but for the few times I pull it I couldn't justify the extra expense that goes with a diesel. Dpf fluid, higher fuel, 100dollar oil change.. my daily driver is now a 2008 gasser Chevy 2500hd. Gas is cheap. Oil change is half price and no added fluid. And the oil change intervals on a gas is 7500 miles now a days. 3000 mile oil changes are a thing of the past. Keep in mind I'm comparing brand new trucks to brand new trucks. Not a new gasser to my dads old 6speed 7.3 that gets 20mpg. And I'm going off actual checking the mpg. Not what your dash tells you

Honda.rider5871
04-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
Id go for a toyota tundra crew cab TRD with the 5.7l. Gets 22mpg DD and will net 16-18mpg towing. Plus thet have the best resale value of any truck besides the taco or any toyota.

Ford craptor is a joke. Just that much more money to fix all the time and the coil-overs used are cheapened up like walmart items. Better off with a f150 and a raptor grill conversion.

Im a MOPAR/Jeep guy and also have a ZR2, But if i had the cash i would have bought a TRD. They take very little to maintain, Parts price is decent and can out do most trucks on the road.
To each his own, You gotta make the payments not me, Good luck Nice to know people support the U.S. economy....:mad:

chucked
04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
My f150 was made in Canada

quadmanw
04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm a dodge guy but it sounds like your dad needs a Tundra. They are a bad ***** truck. And don't say I dont support Merica because I bleed america. Honestly what truck is 100% made in america? NONE. I hate to say it but thats the way it is!

KKiowaTJ
04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Honda.rider5871
Nice to know people support the U.S. economy....:mad:

What are you riding? :rolleyes:

Under erery hood, There is a overseas part in the computer or the whole thing along with other electronic parts.

All thoes part go into a US truck, A toyota truck is pretty much built and i know 100% assembeled in the USA, So im pretty sure my choice of a toyota paid a greedy,"I want", UAW workers wage, Dont you?

I also own many jeeps, How much more red blooded american vehicle that won how many major wars for us?

But with uncle tom in the **** house, I wouldnt support him in the least. The troops is the only thing i give a **** about. He sold us and keeps selling us out to china.

CJM
04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Nice to know people support the U.S. economy....:mad:

You do realize toyota tundras made here and they arent stupid union works who make 100/hr to do a menial job.

Honestly Id choose an F150 ecoboost, buddy of mine had one and it tows great, is so far very reliable and drives super nice. Your just towing a boat, nothing insane. No need for a 3/4 ton truck unless its a very large boat.

Other vote goes to the chevy/gmc, I drive them for work and the 2500 will tow great and whatnot. MPG is pretty crappy b/c they use a bigblock 6.0L engine but it will tow quite alot.

Last choice (and this is in no order btw) is a tundra. Good trucks, excellent towing and pretty good mpg.

Ford raptor will tow fine (ever watch gas monkly garage they tow cars with one!) but its an overall limited edition special truck that might cost more to repair in the long run due to its special parts.

quadmanw
04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
buddy of mine also has the Ford f150 dual turbo ecoboost.. very sweet truck

Fix29
04-10-2013, 08:18 PM
I love my 03 Chevy 2500hd gasser. The truck hauls very nicely and I really have no complaints other than I average around 12mpg (mostly rural and around town driving).

KKiowaTJ
04-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You do realize toyota tundras made here and they arent stupid union works who make 100/hr to do a menial job.

I know they arnt, My father along with many friends and other fmily members belong to UAW 807, Was just a joke to point out they are usa built.

beastlywarrior
04-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Coming from a guy that's owned diesels and switched to gas don't let anyone talk you into a diesel if all you pull is a boat on some weekends. When diesel made its brake thru it was because diesel was cheaper and got better mileage. Well that's gone out the window. Diesel is higher per gallon, dpf fluid is required on the new trucks and with all the egr bullcrap the fuel mileage of the new diesel ain't that good anymore. Now with that being said if your lookin to buy a truck and spend a little more money for the dpf delete stuff you can get the good mileage back. I have several show tractors that I haul maybe 3 times a year. 1 of them weighs 12k. If I was pulling it every week then yeah I woulda stuck with a diesel but for the few times I pull it I couldn't justify the extra expense that goes with a diesel. Dpf fluid, higher fuel, 100dollar oil change.. my daily driver is now a 2008 gasser Chevy 2500hd. Gas is cheap. Oil change is half price and no added fluid. And the oil change intervals on a gas is 7500 miles now a days. 3000 mile oil changes are a thing of the past. Keep in mind I'm comparing brand new trucks to brand new trucks. Not a new gasser to my dads old 6speed 7.3 that gets 20mpg. And I'm going off actual checking the mpg. Not what your dash tells you

Agreed I wanted a duramax for the longest time but seeing how ill be doing a lot of city driving and the maintenance I decided ill just stick with gassers. Too much emissions crap these days too that just make the motors inefficient and destroy them

CJM
04-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
I know they arnt, My father along with many friends and other fmily members belong to UAW 807, Was just a joke to point out they are usa built.

Wasnt directed at you at all bro lol.

edwardsp&b
04-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Dont let the diesel/ epa issues bother you. There are alot of DEP delete kits out there now. Guy the other day had one and gained 7 MPG and a ton of horsepower. The delete was pretty easy to do, the only costly part is the programmer when your done. I will be in the market here very soon, I dont like Ford interiors, (chevy has always beat them in this category), but the new 6.7L diesel Ford has put out is a great motor. Ive never bought a ford (besides the 5.0 I had back in the day) but that will probably be who gets my money next.
Bryan

quadrcr161
04-11-2013, 11:47 AM
if it was me it wouldnt be anything GM, the whole union thing, tax money, cheap rattling interiors and fuel gauges/all gauges going out has really turned me away from them, on top feeling like it has less power.

the raptors are nice but over priced, plus they cant really standup to being driven like they are advertised, search for people folding the frames on them. my choice would be an f150 ecoboost or a toyota tundra/tacoma.

Scro
04-11-2013, 12:38 PM
We've got a 2008 Armada, and my dad's got a 2011 Titan. We've both been very happy with them.

dxcody
04-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Everyone is going to have flaws with different trucks..

I mean, how long has the Suzuki vs honda vs Kawi etc been going on?

My dad bought his 05 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi in 2006..

It had like 2X,XXX miles on it when he got it.. It now has like 140,XXX on it..

We have had to replace the front hubs 2 times now.. Which they say around every 70 thousand you will have to.. and the front end leveling kit doesn't help.. The water pump, and the tie rod ends.

But for the most part it has been a really good truck.

Of course my dad is pretty good about keeping up with maintenance.

Honda.rider5871
04-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Not trying to start brand war, to all their own that's why they make different kinds for everyone. While Toyota might be made in the US , the profits made on the sale are still going to a foreign bank account not being spent in the US. With the Economy being down I do anything and everything I can to buy products made in the US, even though China basically owns us. Don't even get me started on that useless piece of sh** in the white house. As for the last toy I purchased was a Rzr S, made in the US

trick450r
04-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Not trying to start brand war, to all their own that's why they make different kinds for everyone. While Toyota might be made in the US , the profits made on the sale are still going to a foreign bank account not being spent in the US. With the Economy being down I do anything and everything I can to buy products made in the US, even though China basically owns us. Don't even get me started on that useless piece of sh** in the white house. As for the last toy I purchased was a Rzr S, made in the US

That may have shades of truth but the real struggle here is the jobs. The fact is Toyota and Honda support a massive quantity of jobs in this country, and they continue to build new plants and hire new people. While the "American" manufacturers are shipping jobs overseas, to SA, and Canada like its going out of style.

While it may be true that a percentage of the profit is leaving the country, the employee's on American soil getting a paycheck, and in turn having money to spend is what saves an economy.

No bashing, I DO own stuff produced by the big 3.

As far as GM and the bailouts, no comment. I try to let it slide based on the fact that GM brought us the LSX engine platform. :macho :blah:

Honda.rider5871
04-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
That may have shades of truth but the real struggle here is the jobs. The fact is Toyota and Honda support a massive quantity of jobs in this country, and they continue to build new plants and hire new people. While the "American" manufacturers are shipping jobs overseas, to SA, and Canada like its going out of style.

While it may be true that a percentage of the profit is leaving the country, the employee's on American soil getting a paycheck, and in turn having money to spend is what saves an economy.

No bashing, I DO own stuff produced by the big 3.

As far as GM and the bailouts, no comment. I try to let it slide based on the fact that GM brought us the LSX engine platform. :macho :blah: This is why im partial to Ford, I guess I really always have been though but the fact that GM and Dodge took the bailout just gives me another reason to stay loyal.

As far as Toyota and the "truck" Honda makes or whatever its supposed to be, I think they are hideous and wouldn't consider owning one. But this is why they make so many different models, because everyone likes different things.

I guess its like the fact that ive owned Yamhas, Hondas, and Kawis, but wouldn't consider a Suzuki as all then problems ive heard with them, but everyone has a brand or make they prefer over others. Im new to the Polaris scene so cant comment there, but I went with the Rzr S over the can am solely due to where they are made.

coryatver
04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Hate to burst your bubble bud but Polaris RZR are made in Monterrey, MEXICO. Engines made by Fuji Industries Japan. Can am side by side is also made in MEXICO.

Only side by side made in USA is Arctic Cat

blacknblue#2
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
Hate to burst your bubble bud but Polaris RZR are made in Monterrey, MEXICO. Engines made by Fuji Industries Japan. Can am side by side is also made in MEXICO.

Only side by side made in USA is Arctic Cat

This is true. Tear a rzr down and the motor bolts are metric while the chassis bolts are standard. Pain in the ace it is having all those sockets laying around

KKiowaTJ
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
This is true. Tear a rzr down and the motor bolts are metric while the chassis bolts are standard. Pain in the ace it is having all those sockets laying around

Starting in the 80's cars, Trucks, Vans, SUV's you name it were assembled with metric bolts. I have rebuilt many models of cars, Every bolt/nut, Will have a tighter grip with a metric size.
Go to a frame shop, Everything is measured in millimeters vs. SAE inches. Every bolt outside of 1/2"-13mm, SAE is always a sloppy fit and rounds them off.

Honda.rider5871
04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by coryatver

Only side by side made in USA is Arctic Cat I have been somewhat aware of this , assume its because of the govt sucking buisnesses dry with all their taxes. Also the popularity of Rzrs has increased dramatically , just about everywhere. I assumed they expanded with new factories in Mexico to keep up with demand

Anyways, lets get this thread back on topic!

slightlybent47
04-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Diesels are heaver then a gasser so for the times when you get off the pavement a gasser is better.
For towing you need stopping power and that means a heaver truck works better. Most V8’s have the pulling power, but a longer heaver truck pulls and stops better.
But the long wheel base and heavy motor kills you off road.
So there’s trade off’s to ether type.
I have a short bed ½ ton that I pull trailers with all the time. With the supper springs I have on the back, I can pull a pretty good load. And even with trailer breaks, it’s hard to get it shut down with a light truck. And if it’s wet! Hold on to your ***, there’s no telling where I will end up.lol
Long wheel base trucks are hard to park and turn around; you need lots of room to turn around in a double cab long bed.
Plenty of other trade off’s to consider. So many choices!lol

rf928
04-13-2013, 04:27 PM
I like the new F150 with the ecoboost thing, pretty nice. Although I think my next truck will probably be a duramax, that is all that people drive in my area. I need to pull a stock trailer and don't want the 6.0L gas due to the poorer mpg, if I can run farm plates on a duramax I think that's what I'll go with.

If I could buy a new one? That would be a dream, so might as well go with a dream truck, the 4.3L duramax they talked about.

CJM
04-13-2013, 10:19 PM
I got a question that maybe you guys can help with.

Its time for me to buy a newer truck, down to the 06+ F150 5.4L (must have 3.73s, IDk if I need FX4 pack to get that tho) or a 05+ Silverado 5.3L (gotta have at least 3.73 as well, but Im thinking most will be 3.42-maybe Z71 has the higher gears?)

Basically I need towing power. I dont tow alot, but when I do need to tow a load I dont want to be SOL with crappy gears and have issues. Im also probably going to put a small lift to fit 32 or 33's on whatever I find.

Id prefer a 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine or diesel but cost, combined with poor mpg for daily driving Id rather not deal with. At work Ive driven both 3/4-1 ton older ford 5.4L vans/trucks and 6.0L chevy vans/trucks. The chevys hauled nicely with some weight, but I found the They do tend to ride too soft, fords rode stiffer and had less get up and go but overall had less issues.

IDK, its a tough call. Ive heard the 5.3L likes to really make power up too high-which sucks, where the ford has better lowend.

If you want a very good laugh, my toyota t100 with all 190hp and 220tq in all her glory has towed some amazing loads. I once towed a uhaul trailer w/mr2 through the mtns of pa with no real issues. Guess them insane 4.30 gears are worth the lower mpg lol.

Honda.rider5871
04-14-2013, 11:18 AM
For towing purposes in a half ton truck you cant beat a 5.4 f150. The numbers how that Fords 5.4 make their peak power at 2500rpms, while the chevys 5.3 makes it peak power at 4000+rpm. The most ive pulled is a tandem car trailer with 2 rzrs , a yfz, 400, and a yz250 going to Brimstone and didn't have a problem up and down the long hills to get there. I get about 17 on the highway and 13 in town , mines 3.73 4x4.

The only problem the ford triton motors are known for is throwing spark plugs after 100k+, but plan on changing mine at 100k to avoid any problems. As far as reliability my buddie at work had an expedition(same as f150) with the 5.4 and his went 312k before the tranny went, but the motor was still going strong. From 03 to 04 ford went with the 3v design over the 2v in previous yrs that also raised hp from 260 to 300hp,and the torque a bit also

CJM
04-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Yea I know about the plug blowout issues and the 3pc design of the newer ones that snap off when you try and change them.

After doing alot of research these past few days, if I can find an F150 for a good price thats what Im getting