PDA

View Full Version : Need cobra shifter clutch help

skyeryder
04-10-2013, 12:24 PM
alright trying to bleed a new master cyl and can't get clutch to release. when I take the cover off the black center is moving about 1/8 inch to 3/16 inch. So my question becomes do you sometimes have to shim the push rod to make it work? Also in the center of the black where the push rod goes is there supposed to be a ball or anything? I gotta get this tonight so we can load up and head south.... Thanks

Also I looked at the owner manuals on the cobra site and it doesn't look like I'm missing anything......

skyeryder
04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Alright figured out i was missing the 5/16s ball, now my problem is cover won't go on to save my life, afraid to over force it.
Here's my set-up older style 70cc shifter 07-08 I think, the clutch cylinder/cover complete set-up is brand new. was there any changes that maybe they used different sized pushrods???
I thought maybe my clutches are wore but if I had new ones that would make it thicker so I'm at a loss.....

chuck 8A
04-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Yes if you have the newer style one piece cover, it takes a little shorter push rod. I had the same problem and to quick fix it I removed about 1/8 off the top of the push rod. You will have to replace it with the proper one because once you grind it you pierce the harden coating and it will wear out faster. Hope this helps.. Chuck

skyeryder
04-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by chuck 8A
Yes if you have the newer style one piece cover, it takes a little shorter push rod. I had the same problem and to quick fix it I removed about 1/8 off the top of the push rod. You will have to replace it with the proper one because once you grind it you pierce the harden coating and it will wear out faster. Hope this helps.. Chuck

Chuck thanks that's exactly what I was thinking bu thated to grind it off and be wrong. So we ground about 1/8" off works great now thanks. Who did you get the shorter one from b/c one of the dealers I spoke to had never heard of that?

stevo7706
04-15-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm curious, why not adjust the clutch lever instead of grinding the pushrod? I just put a new style cover on an older engine and it seems to work fine.