PDA

View Full Version : What makes Sparks exhaust so good for the 400?

RNL
04-10-2013, 09:41 AM
So you can do a search and come up with so many diff threads and opinions on how the Sparks is the best exhaust on a 400. There are pipe shootouts that place is at the top as well, and it's the choice of those very serious about optimum performance on a 400ex/x. Seeing how so many people run just a slip on with ground headers, or just the slip on and all seem to get good gains. There doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference between slip ons on a properly jetted quad. So why is the Sparks full system considered so good? What makes it the best out there?Is it because it has such an open core and no restriction? We know they are loud. How would a Sparks get you gains vs say a HMF slip on and grounded header welds?

hondaREX
04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I would say just the diameter of the Sparks is what makes the difference. Like others have stated over and over, the gains are sure to be minimal. I am putting a full Sparks X6 on right now. I wanted a CT slip on but they discontinued them and i got this system for a good price. But im going from a stock exhaust with header welds ground, stock engine, 450r carb to a 407cc, HC stage 2, full Sparks X6 with the 450r carb so im not going to be able to comment on the Sparks actually gains specifically. I might be too loud so im going to tune that setup for the stock exhaust as well so maybe after that i can comment. It is a very nice system tho.

RNL
04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by hondaREX
I would say just the diameter of the Sparks is what makes the difference. Like others have stated over and over, the gains are sure to be minimal. I am putting a full Sparks X6 on right now. I wanted a CT slip on but they discontinued them and i got this system for a good price. But im going from a stock exhaust with header welds ground, stock engine, 450r carb to a 407cc, HC stage 2, full Sparks X6 with the 450r carb so im not going to be able to comment on the Sparks actually gains specifically. I might be too loud so im going to tune that setup for the stock exhaust as well so maybe after that i can comment. It is a very nice system tho.

Lot of guys really love those Sparks exhaust even on a stock 400. What I'm curious is if you lined up a 400 with a Sparks, and a 400 with say a nice pipe like an HMF or Motoworks if there would really be a difference.

CJM
04-10-2013, 12:07 PM
In all honesty its all really the same. Would you gain 10hp, not likely. Free'er flowing exhaust helps a motor breath better, thus make more power. But in reality on a 400ex its hard to really improve upon the design of the headers b/c of the way they are. Generally your gaining max maybe 3hp. So for one to the other uits all pretty much the same.

Id save my cash and buy something cheaper.

RNL
04-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by CJM
In all honesty its all really the same. Would you gain 10hp, not likely. Free'er flowing exhaust helps a motor breath better, thus make more power. But in reality on a 400ex its hard to really improve upon the design of the headers b/c of the way they are. Generally your gaining max maybe 3hp. So for one to the other uits all pretty much the same.

Id save my cash and buy something cheaper. \

Good info, and I tend to agree. For what it's worth I have a HMF Competition series exhaust on my 2012 YFZ 450 and I love it. Great exhaust with a awesome look and sound. I'm thinking a Sparks would do better on bigger builds, but for stock internals I bet the difference is not any more than 1 hp. Good discussion anyways though.

JOHNDOE83
04-10-2013, 01:22 PM
It makes the most power because it flows the most air effectively with a proper db level for racing and woods riding.

You could make a custom header or customize a stock header and use a hollowed out slipon and create one thats just as good or better for less money.

For off the shelf bolt on horse power, the sparks is best "pipe wise" unless you find a old school dual header pipe like a luney tuned or a dmc alien.

If you want the most power you have to custom build or customize stock and aftermarket exhaust pieces.

And still, were only talking 1-2 hp differences here.

Thumpin440ex
04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Sparks is a nice pipe, however HMF has the build quality.. It isn't necessarily about breathing or flowing better but the way the sparks is opened and the gradual expansion it could possibly help exhaust velocity. Generally speaking the smaller pipe would produce tq on the low end vs just a huge open pipe. If you notice how the HMF header is, it has a slight taper before entering into 1, which helps generate velocity and scavenge. I personally have not really seen dynos of both from a private person I know, so who knows if the numbers are truly not swayed towards one or the other. Dyno is just a tuning tool. The way to really tell is how they perform racing or running side by side, IMO the diff would be in the rider, not the pipe.

John

426kidz
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Bottom line, if you wanna have an awesome 400 like mine. get a SPARKS BABY!!:cool: :macho :) ;) ;)

KKiowaTJ
04-10-2013, 05:24 PM
I have a Yosh slip on and at one time it was the best for the 400ex. Throttle response and noise is all you really gain slip-on or full.
'The best' comes from who pimps their **** the most and makes the most 'bolt-on' parts. No more white bro's so CS took their spot.
Either way, Any pipe will do and have the same effect. To each their own

Rohr397
04-10-2013, 10:07 PM
There's actually a lot of White Bros you could still get ahold of, I got offered two for my 450r and now have one on the way.

I'm still Motoworks all the way, if you're not gonna notice the difference save yourself $100 on their SR4. Build quality is great and the pros love'em.

2muchquad
04-14-2013, 10:55 AM
good post.so true.having tried many system over the yrs including the sparks.one over the other isnt gonna rip ur arm off.all about looking good lol:D