PDA

View Full Version : 125 or 250/2 for fat mans play bike?

rbgnwa45
04-09-2013, 04:13 PM
used 125 or 250/2 for play bike?

looking for a 01+ for around $1500 (dunville, ontario), i think id prefer a 125 or 250/2 01-05 RM. ive ridden 00+ 125's, a 660 raptor and have a couple hours of play time on my friends honda 450r w/bolt ons (engine seized). they didnt quite have enough power. i rode a 02 yz125 and 01 rm125. they were very light, easy to start and were straight forward, itd be my first pick if i werent too heavy. i figure theyd be easier on fuel than a 250/2 and i could do a 144/150 and add bolt ons to make up for being heavy and id get the suspension re valved for play riding. i like being able to scream around but wouldnt do it 90% of the time. id be riding trails, fields, on a farm, abandoned roads with my friend and his trx450r. i actually prefer 85s lol, theyre stoopid fun, but i need a 2 stroke thats cheap on fuel (ride for 4+hours/day) and wont slowly break/wear hard under my weight. i think the 01 rm125 is 10/10 for look & feel but need a pinch more power everywhere and probably tougher suspension. i suppose per jump id get on average 2 feet of air maximum. im not a jumper lol. would a 150/2 thats uncorked be easier on fuel than a 250/2, would the weight savings be all that much, would it be too less reliable? 125s are so light and easy to start i love them. cheap parts would be nice. clutch work is nothing and i can stay in the mid rang easily.

KKiowaTJ
04-09-2013, 07:00 PM
2 Stroke and cheap/easy dont go togeather IMO. You will need to carry extra plug(s), Mix oil and the maintince on a 2 stroke like ring's/piston, Gaskets etc. will be alot if you ride 4 hours or more a day.

For a play bike like you mentioned you want an XR250-400. All they take are gas and oil changes and can run on the hottest day or the coldest if ya can kick it long enough.
My last XR got 50-60mpg out playing on backroads.

But if your gonna waste time with a 2stroke, get a 250. Better off with the power and better suspension. Good luck either way

Fred55
04-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
2 Stroke and cheap/easy dont go togeather IMO. You will need to carry extra plug(s), Mix oil and the maintince on a 2 stroke like ring's/piston, Gaskets etc. will be alot if you ride 4 hours or more a day.

For a play bike like you mentioned you want an XR250-400. All they take are gas and oil changes and can run on the hottest day or the coldest if ya can kick it long enough.
My last XR got 50-60mpg out playing on backroads.

But if your gonna waste time with a 2stroke, get a 250. Better off with the power and better suspension. Good luck either way

Have y ou actually owned a two stork before? They are the cheapest of all bikes to run. Easy to do one year on the same piston and depending on how well you keep your air filter clean, rings as well. If you do has to do maintainace, it's $100 for piston, rings and all your gaskets. Literally takes less than an hour to do a top end rebuild.

If you are jetted correctly and are mixing the gas correct, the same plug can last months.

Because you tend to rev them, they are harder on fuel economy than a comparable four stroke.

Suspension wise, a 125 and 250 have the same level of quality components, with the 250 having heavier springs and damping because to is faster and was usually riden by older and heavier riders, where a 125 still had to work for a kid fresh off his 85.

Two strokes are great bikes and probably the most fun you can have for pure thrill. They may not always be the faster, but I pretty sure they will give you the best bang for you money and the biggest smile on your face.

rbgnwa45
04-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks. Most 250's are 2k. Some are 1500. I see a lot of 01 cr 250's for 2k. I think ill get a 250 and go from there. my first bike was a 2 stroke and when i got on a 4 stroke it felt weird. i have throttle control and arent worried about range as much anymore as i can just buy an aftermarket tank. ill take the better supended 250. i dont plan on exercising any time soon at 220lbs lol. 2-stroke IS way cheaper - but i still would have to carry around oil. id rather not pay for valves. my friends 450r needs like $1500 for a new engine lol.

Flyin_250r
04-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Definitely go with a 2 stroke. I actually live in st.catharines and have an 03 cr 250 I might sell for the right price. It's more than you're looking to spend but we'll worth it. Has black excel rims, bindi race engine (no race gas required), pro circuit pipe and spare fmf, lgs front and rear suspension, etc etc etc. it's a sick bike. PM me if you think it's something you might be interested in

Either way I would definitely go with a 2 stroke. XR's are nice trail bikes and all but nothing is more fun than a screaming 2 stroke as long as you know how to ride one and control it

rbgnwa45
04-09-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm actually in Caistor Centre. I'm interested... however, I havn't started saving up yet. My MAX budget would be 2500. I can't really justify spending more than 2k.

id like a 400ex too but damn those are expensive still

Flyin_250r
04-09-2013, 10:50 PM
400ex quads are great trail quads. I havent owned one, but wouldnt mind getting one. Once my laeger is rebuilt, I plan to pick up either another 250r quad in xc form, or a 400ex. Ive always been a die hard 250r fan, so its hard to not go with one.

I havent even tried selling my bike yet, still debating on it. Its not costing me anything and gives me something to ride while the hybrids being rebuilt, so its in no rush to move. If you decide you're interested, let me know. But I would probably be looking at around $2800 unfortunately. I understand if its out of your budget. Look in the states too. Bikes and quads are far cheaper. Ive brought back most of my previous rides from the states. Its fairly easy too as long as you have some paperwork and dont try to mess around with the border guards.

BlasterEaten250
04-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Just figured I'd mention that I used a lot more gas on my 125 than my 250. I think the difference was that I was always wringing the 125's neck while on the 250 you could go the same speed of a pinned 125 at half throttle.

I'd go with the 250 if I was you.

KKiowaTJ
04-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Fred55
Have y ou actually owned a two stork before? They are the cheapest of all bikes to run. Easy to do one year on the same piston and depending on how well you keep your air filter clean, rings as well. If you do has to do maintainace, it's $100 for piston, rings and all your gaskets. Literally takes less than an hour to do a top end rebuild.

If you are jetted correctly and are mixing the gas correct, the same plug can last months.

Because you tend to rev them, they are harder on fuel economy than a comparable four stroke.

Suspension wise, a 125 and 250 have the same level of quality components, with the 250 having heavier springs and damping because to is faster and was usually riden by older and heavier riders, where a 125 still had to work for a kid fresh off his 85.

Two strokes are great bikes and probably the most fun you can have for pure thrill. They may not always be the faster, but I pretty sure they will give you the best bang for you money and the biggest smile on your face.

Yep, And i know for sure ive owned and rebuilt more than you could count. Plug for months? LMFAO, Must like lean ****y running bikes.
Again, 2stroke = more money, $100 a year my ***, If your lucky and dont ride much, Or spend as much time cleaning and riding. Plus mixing oil and all the BS that follows.
Thrill vs. practical, XR or the like win's hands down every time and valves on them are set and go. Its not a liquid cooled 250/450r.
To each their own, I know how little it take to rebuild them, But its still time and money wasted for a thrill and parts bill.

quad2xtreme
04-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I'd go the air-cooled 4-stroke route too if you could find the Honda. Much more compatible with the type of riding it sounds like you and your friends would be doing...especially riding with quad guys.

I ride a bike and quads. I wouldn't appreciate a 2-stroke bike guy coming along with us in the West Virginia mountains at all. They are annoying as hell unless you are the one on it. :) I tend to like my rides stealth as possible...which seriously has me considering a new exhaust. I've been running my Baldwin exhaust from my mx days on my trail quad. It can be a bit obnoxious so I am told by other woods riders.

quad2xtreme
04-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Bulletproof

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/3706042499.html

JOHNDOE83
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
I bought a cr250 "98" model in perfect running condition for $500.

I also bought a "02" cr80 for $500 in same running condition.

Owned them for over a year now and havent had to fix anything.

I waited a long time for these deals, I searched everyday religously online for 6 months before I found the cr250.

A week later I saw the cr80 and couldnt stop myself from buying it, the price was right so I did itm wasnt even in the market for it.

Both bike are on stock bore, both look beat up but everything works fine.

I love 2 strokes now, I always owned 4 strokes until I bought these 2 bikes.

I still see cr250 and rm, kx selling for $800-$1200 in mint condition all the time.

rbgnwa45
04-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Im looking for a 250/2, I don't like 4 stroke bikes, the suspension and weight. It can't be slower than a lightly modded 450r, either. I'll probably buy the local CR250 that guy has in a few months :D.

Scro
04-11-2013, 05:43 AM
I bought a KTM 300xc, first bike and 2stroke I've ever had. I couldn't be happier. PLENTY of power. I've rode a big wheel 150r 4 stroke around a bit, and it has just as much power off idle. Powerband is explosive. Almost too much for my 160 pounds. As far as 2stroke vs 4stroke. I'll never own another 4stroke again. So much more fun, cheaper, and easier to work on.

rbgnwa45
04-11-2013, 07:07 PM
The first MX bike I rode was a friends modded 96 KX80. First gear, pavement, i must have weighed 180lbs (grade 9), the band kicked in and the front lifted and it scared me to death, i thought it was a beast. It would power wheelie in 1-2-sometimes 3. My ride was an 82 KE100 with "unfixable", leaky forks.

I fell in love riding an 01 or 02 (01 pretty sure) RM125 (probably weighed 230 at the time). The bottom end was obviously lacking and on pavement the front end didn't lift yet it was very fast, confidence inspiring. It seemed like the chassis/suspension prevented lift and it was very point-n-shoot. It needed more power everywhere to keep me happy. I was bored with the power as soon as I got into 4th.

I dragged the same bike on a raptor 660 and we were dead even until I missed 5th. I guess the RM wasn't so fast after all.

Quads, I think, just don't have enough acceleration for me. I want it to be more like a speeder bike on endor.

I don't like 4 stroke power bands. My friends 450r seemed to reach near-peak RPM way before the gear was at full speed so I'd have to hear a linear engine sound and then when it stopped accelerating I'd shift. It was like a snowmobile with gears. On a 2-stroke you have better feel & control of when you need to shift and its RPM is more linear with actual speed.

JOHNDOE83
04-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45

Quads, I think, just don't have enough acceleration for me. I want it to be more like a speeder bike on endor.

Endor....lol.

Me to, thats why I put a cr250 motor in a lightend quad chassis:cool:

rbgnwa45
04-13-2013, 09:50 AM
that cr250 is faster than a 440r?

Flyin_250r
04-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Its more so all about the rider than straight up speed

Had my bike out today for the first ride of the year! Im thinking about ordering some new plastics for it in white, and copying the theme Im going with on my laeger rebuild with a blue seat cover and blue/grey graphics. Might even sell it after all that, who knows, I dont ride as often as I wish

JOHNDOE83
04-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
that cr250 is faster than a 440r?

Heck ya it is!!!

the cr250 motor is 50lbs lighter then the stock 400ex motor, has alot more HP and a crazy powerband.

the 440 probaly had 39-40 hp the cr250 motor stock puts out 45hp and ive added a inframe drag pipe, easily looking at 50hp probally more.

The whole quad with gas only weighs 200lbs.

I built it so It would beat high mod banshees and big bored camd out 450rs at the drag strip.

AND IT DOES!!!!

rbgnwa45
04-15-2013, 06:53 PM
My Ontario broski, my grandpa has informed me he cannot ride his (kodiak 450 or Griz 660) anymore so he's gifting it to me. I may sell it for your bike so go ahead with your plans, I like blue & white & grey ;).

200lbs, can I see it? Forgot is this a bike or quad? Also, I thought you meant big bore 250r (440r).