First, the stats:
Pro-X 363
40.5 mm PWK
195 main
55 pilot
DGH Needle, 3rd clip
UNI air filter, stock airbox, no lid.
CT midrange pipe

So here's the deal. Carlos helped me out and recommended this jetting to start with. He told me this would be pretty rich. I'm not looking for something that's pushing the boundaries, I'd like to keep my jetting as reliable as possible to keep the engine going strong for as long as possible.

Now this is my question... if this is already pretty rich, and i'm pleased with the way it runs (starts with zero throttle, idles perfectly, smooth power deliver throughout the RPM range, no choking, sputtering, loading whatsoever) do I need to do a plug chop and lean up the jetting? Like I said, I just want a good reliable runner. Lean is mean but fat is where it's at. Right?

Pics of plug. I thought it was a nice dark chocolate color, I hope that shows in the picture. Also, my pipe really blued by the exhaust flange... is that normal? I'm being super paranoid so I attached a picture just in case that indicates a lean condition.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2u9kdu9.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/35db39u.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/11kbl3p.jpg

Mony25
04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
I would always do a plug chop even if you think it's rich. Just to make sure you can always leave it but it will give you the piece of mind. I have seen some pipes blue like that do a plug chop and you will know if jetting needs messed with.

Rip_Tear
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
What is your oil fuel mixture? Just that could indicate why the plug is a bit browner although I assume your mixture is fine.

The plug doesn't look bad, I would rejet just to see because it does look like it could be a bit better.

J250r
04-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Mixing amsoil dominator at 32:1

I always thought a dark chocolate color was something to shoot for with spark plug color.

What do you mean a bit better? As in leaner, or richer?

Rip_Tear
04-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I mix my amsoil 50:1 as per the previous owner, but I honestly don't know how much if any the ratio might make a difference, other then more oil you'd expect darker plugs.

I always look for a goldish(brown with maybe flecks of white) to brownsih plug, I'd go for brownish over gold, but I go to gold then back off.

I think you are rich, not by much but I'd lean it out just to see the plug.

C-LEIGH RACING
04-09-2013, 05:50 PM
:D Lean is mean but fat is where its at,,, now wonder where you heard that at.

I dont remember which cylinder you have, so is it a Pro-x or ESR & which piston did Carlos use, ESR or Wossnor.

With a Wossnor, you may have some port linking & loosing some of the fresh charge early because of the machining on the sides of that piston, but if the ESR one was used, it pretty much stops the port linking.

That plug looks good to me, but you know me, I'll run it rich if I got to give up hp to make the engine live longer.

Ol CT pipe, pretty normal for it to blue like that on a good running engine, but all things need to be looked into, like ignition timing setting, the compression amount & the cut of that head dome.

As a test, go with a larger main jet & see if anything changes, because richer your not going to hurt anything & if performance drops, you'll know you need to go the other way.
A normal fresh engine, after break in, should tighten up a little on compression, gain some, so it may be it was rich before hand & now is burning it all, but I like a dark plug.
Neil

J250r
04-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Dumb question but.. what is the next biggest main jet size after 195? Or do they just go up by 1 each time?

I'm gonna try to put in the next biggest main to see if I notice any changes in performance like you suggested Neil. I'm like you, I'd rather be a little rich than changing pistons all the time.

Thumpin440ex
04-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Looks a touch rich. Mixture could be leaned out just a bit, but the overall color is not to bad.

John

Langbolt
04-10-2013, 05:05 PM
What Fuel are you running ? Pump Gas or Race Fuel....what Octane ?

If it runs crisp and your're happy with the way it performs...I'd leave it and RIDE!

Do you have a temp gauge ? If you're running cold and not up to operating temps then you can lean it a bit further.

Keep us posted

:D

J250r
04-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I didn't have a temp guage that weekend, but I'll have one the next time I go home.

You're saying if my temps are pretty low, that means I'm quite rich?

I had my head re-cut for av gas, 100 octane

Normal temps are in the 190-200 ish range right?

Langbolt
04-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes! Running Rich will cool your Operating temps...not much but enough no notice.

You should be running 180-200 degrees....under load

My 330 runs 188-189 on Pump fuel and my buddy's 350 runs the same on c12

:devil: