PDA

View Full Version : harescramble workout.

GAZ-V-21
04-08-2013, 08:43 AM
So i finaly did my first harescramble yesterday didnt do to bad and i made it through whole thing. Had a couple exciting wrecks lol. After first couple laps myhand was so weak i could barely squeeze the clutch lever and my arms was beat today my whole body aches. Is there any certain muscles i should work on to try and get ready for these races? Any good diet to take on?

400exmxracer
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
I would like to know some as well for racing mx this season, I imagine they're about the same

KKiowaTJ
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
So i finaly did my first harescramble yesterday didnt do to bad and i made it through whole thing. Had a couple exciting wrecks lol. After first couple laps myhand was so weak i could barely squeeze the clutch lever and my arms was beat today my whole body aches. Is there any certain muscles i should work on to try and get ready for these races? Any good diet to take on?

Was this in keithburg,IL/Sany Oak's by chance?

GAZ-V-21
04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
It was in taylorville il.

Mtndew99
04-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Just race more harescrambles that's how I train for them or ride hard as u can for long

LeGaCyGiAnT124
04-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Mtndew99
Just race more harescrambles that's how I train for them or ride hard as u can for long

Exactly.

No workout can simulate racing besides racing! I always like when you see some big headed muscle man out on the track and then see some puny skinny kid laying it down and lapping circles around them. Its all about riding riding and more riding.

To help cure arm pump, get your suspension set up correct, get a steering stabilizer, and dont put a death grip on the bars. A twist throttle helped me out a lot for arm pump. I still get it, but it's usually gone by the end of the first lap. I do harescramble races. For me, I get faster by the end of the race.

GAZ-V-21
04-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys.

ben300
04-08-2013, 02:34 PM
these guys speak the truth. nothing replaces seat time on the quad. theres fitness and then theres riding fitness (ie getting your body ready for the abuse it it takes to ride)..

what helps though is getting some kind of fitness regimen going. sure you can go out and ride, and make yourself faster, guarunteed, but its sure as hell a lot easier to keep up a good pace in the later stages of a race, if your not sucking wind from the get go.

running
biking
HIIT
row machine
swimming
weight lifting, but not for show muscles. work on , moves that are geared towards performance. moves that compound and use mutiple muscle groups at one time (ie, bench, shoulder press, pull ups, dips, squats, rows, turkish get ups, lunges, etc)
Crossfit

basically anything that taxes the cardiovasuclar system and provides some type of muscular performance enhancement

walker fowler did an interview on "banged up radio" podcast and he said when he moved to pro, his fitness just wast quite up to par. so went out and got himself a nice (nice as in expensive) duel suspension, specialized FSR enduro mtn bike. he said not only does it help his fitness tremendously, but it actually helps you to practice picking out lines to take (thats if your trail ride it. we cant all do that).

DragonGunner
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Pushups...lots of them, very good. Also jogging an running up and down steep hills. Riding time is the best if you can.

GAZ-V-21
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys.

Mtndew99
04-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah at the race most people in the higher classes especially in my series just have a lot of riding time then some are naturally good

JWill27
04-08-2013, 08:23 PM
I can't give input on the riding part but for fitness, circuit training, boot camps, and like mentioned before, crossfit.
I swear by amino acids for muscle recovery. Cuts down on soreness, builds immune system and gives you a bit more energy. Drink lots of water and load up on carbs the night before the race.
Good luck and keep us posted on how you progress

ben300
04-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by JWill27
I can't give input on the riding part but for fitness, circuit training, boot camps, and like mentioned before, crossfit.
I swear by amino acids for muscle recovery. Cuts down on soreness, builds immune system and gives you a bit more energy. Drink lots of water and load up on carbs the night before the race.
Good luck and keep us posted on how you progress

i like to eat a packet or two of those little gel or goo packets that marathon runners eat while running races....good spike in insulin for ya....only problem is they taste terrible!

GAZ-V-21
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I think after my muscles recover a little im gonna go down to my friends property that has some nice trails and hit them hard for an hour or so maybe twice a week to try to get these muscles more prepared.

KKiowaTJ
04-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
It was in taylorville il.

Just curious, They had a harescramble at the Oak's the same day. Oddly enough my friend took his glasses off so he could wear his goggles, Turns out it was a good idea. He took home first place and he never fell off the pace. See no hazard's there isnt any? LOL

Like the rest, Seat time is what worked for me the most. Swimming is the next best thing as it will use all the muscles and teaches breathing cycles.

Stretching and continus muscle movement helps me. Strap some weight to your ankles and do killers while watching a movie at night. Or put them on your hands and move your wrists up and down, Only takes a few minutes and you will feel it. Then hold them behind your shoulders with movement so you can get stretched out and less likely to cramp up.

IMO down time and little things play a big part. You can get your arms and shoulders a good amount with less than 10lbs of weight.

I have an elliptical now and its in the shop so when im outside doing things around the house ill jump on and off. Ill let my arms pull it one time, Then legs, Then both when im jello. But out of all the machines and weights, The elliptical does a decent job.

Diet wise i never really cared. I eat what i want, But only once a day and vitimans and water with a couple diet dews. But im 6'4 so i can only drop so much before it turns to muscle and goes back up.
I also smoke cigarettes alot which never effected me even when i would go for a run id smoke running. During a break friends are winded and im sweating smoking cigarettes lol. The 'health' part was never high on my list.

I wouldnt sit around and wait, Id go back out and ride sore. Just dont ride over your head and it will come to a point that you will be sore in spots or just that night/morning. Just keep hydrated and it will come to you.

Good luck, Figured id give an opinion from the lazy *** side of rider. But it never hurt my finishes or my condition, Just quad parts lol.

GAZ-V-21
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Lol good stuff there bro. Ill try some of it.

Zakradu398
04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Biggest thing that helps me while riding if I get arm pump is to keep drinking water until you feel like you are going to puke. Force it down, it works.

ben300
04-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
Biggest thing that helps me while riding if I get arm pump is to keep drinking water until you feel like you are going to puke. Force it down, it works.

im not gonna say that thats the wrong way to hydrate your muscles, but id never do it that way..

if i got a race on sundays, i start hydrating on thursday. i drink water and lots. not to where im gonna make myself puke, but more than what i normally do...this is how marathon runners do it, so its kina how i do it for a race...

i also notice that during a race i always for get that my camel back is there

Zakradu398
04-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by ben300
im not gonna say that thats the wrong way to hydrate your muscles, but id never do it that way..

if i got a race on sundays, i start hydrating on thursday. i drink water and lots. not to where im gonna make myself puke, but more than what i normally do...this is how marathon runners do it, so its kina how i do it for a race...

i also notice that during a race i always for get that my camel back is there

Obviously before hand diet plays a large roll. I'm saying while you are out riding.

GAZ-V-21
04-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys.