View Full Version : Oil for 450r wet clutch or not.

GAZ-V-21
04-06-2013, 06:07 PM
My buddy has a 450r and wants to change oil for harescramble tomorrow. Does 450r use wet clutch oil? And what weights do you recomend? Temps outside will be around 70

Rohr397
04-06-2013, 07:11 PM
If you're talking about the tranny oil on the right side I'm 99.9% sure you just throw the same exact type of oil that you use for the engine oil on the left.

CJM
04-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Gotta be wet clutch, motor doesnt matter but trans does.

I run rotella white bottle both sides as do many others with no issues at all.

DnB_racing
04-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
My buddy has a 450r and wants to change oil for harescramble tomorrow. Does 450r use wet clutch oil? And what weights do you recomend? Temps outside will be around 70 you can run a number of oils in the transmission, from straight 70 weight Honda gear oil to rottella 10-30 and a bunch of others in between this price range

check your local Wal-Mart and see what they have for rottella in the white bottle more then likely what ever weight they have will work,

d3ktrix
04-06-2013, 11:00 PM
You can use both the blue synthetic and white conventional Rotella in both sides.
The blue bottle no longer has molly in it and is wet clutch safe.

I use the blue in the engine and white in the trans.

mxquad53
04-15-2013, 08:14 PM
I use the Honda transmission oil in mine

GAZ-V-21
04-15-2013, 08:30 PM
My buddy put royal purple 10w 40 in it and its not for a wet clutch it just regular oil is that not good

CJM
04-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
My buddy put royal purple 10w 40 in it and its not for a wet clutch it just regular oil is that not good

Probably.

Just be smarter than your buddies and use rotella 15w-40 and be happy.

GAZ-V-21
04-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Hes telling me he thinks his motor calls for regular 10w 40 motor oil said thats what shop told him. I know for fact guys at this shop are idiots

CJM
04-15-2013, 08:56 PM
^ Idiots.. exactly

GAZ-V-21
04-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Ya he said thst they told him regular engine oil in one side and gear oil in the transmission side. So he is running car oil in engine.

2001400exrida
04-24-2013, 08:25 AM
there is nothing wrong with car oil on the engine side. It doesn't have to be JASO approved or wet clutch approved on the motor side, so technically your friend is right. I know guys that run castrol, mobil synthetic, and even penzoil on their motor side.

I personally started running amsoil synthetic on the motor side.

Yes gear oil can be run on hte tranny side, that's what the honda red bottle is.

I run rotella white bottle on my tranny side.

Keep in mind on almost all other sport quads, you do not have the option to put a seperate oil in the tranny so it's necessary to run the JASO (wet clutch approved) oil no matter what, because if you don't your tranny will be running the wrong oil that has the inhibitors in it.

Extremerider
04-24-2013, 08:51 PM
do NOT run honda hp4m (contains moly) in your tranny side

d3ktrix
04-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Ive also been told my engine builders not to run car oil that has "Energy Conserving" on the classifications logo.

Not all car oils say it, but most do.

CJM
04-25-2013, 08:25 AM
^ thats a general thing to avoid, "energy conserving" the oil has all kinda additives in it no good for small engines.

The following car oils I know can be run in most small engines (specially wet clutch setups):
-Royal purple
-Rotella
-Mobil1 15w-50

2001400exrida
04-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by CJM
^ thats a general thing to avoid, "energy conserving" the oil has all kinda additives in it no good for small engines.

The following car oils I know can be run in most small engines (specially wet clutch setups):
-Royal purple
-Rotella
-Mobil1 15w-50

the energy conserving has no effect on the motor side.

energy conserving and moly are issues with the tranny and clutch side of things, energy conserving additives cause the clutch to act up and slip.

There is no problem running an energy conserving label in the motor side, it's all related to how these oils react to the clutch. The main thing is to get a good oil that can withstand the high heat and high revs of our motors, focus on that when it comes to the motor side.

Like i said, any other quad runs same oil in the motor and the tranny and needs motorcycle or JASO approved oil because it shares the motor oil with the clutch oil. In the case of the honda trx450, you can run your JASO motorcycle oil in the clutch side, and almost any other oil as long as it's the right weight will work fine in the motor. I prefer amsoil and i also prefer not to go with some cheap no name oil in these machines.

2001400exrida
04-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Also keep in mind guys, mobil 1 15w50 is not wet clutch approved.

If you are going to run mobil 1, make sure you run the 4t stuff that is designed for wet clutches.

You can run mobil 1 on the motor side, but don't run the 15w50 on the tranny side.

CJM
04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Just keep on fishing.

2001400exrida
04-25-2013, 01:10 PM
sorry dude, wasn't trying to phish, i just dont want somebody to put mobil 1 15w50 in their tranny and experience clutch issues, it is not an approved oil for that application.

doesn't matter if you posted it and have 10,000 posts of if a new guy with 3 posts said it....fact is, i wouldn't recommend it and it's not designed for it.

CJM
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Sadly I cannot prove its approved or not, but I will say if you google search it you will find thousands of posts/topics/whatever on using it on wet clutch setups with no issues.

I ran t for 4 years with no issues either, swapped to rotella only b/c of price.

2001400exrida
04-25-2013, 03:29 PM
I believe it used to be Jaso wet clutch approved. I ran it in my sport bike for years as well. They haven't met Jaso for a couple years now, not sure if standards got too tough or what.

d3ktrix
04-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
I believe it used to be Jaso wet clutch approved. I ran it in my sport bike for years as well. They haven't met Jaso for a couple years now, not sure if standards got too tough or what.

Just because it doesn't meet Jaso doesn't mean its not wet clutch safe.

Rotella was not Jaso for a while, but it was because of soot not moly or anything.

Smoker
04-25-2013, 09:56 PM
I have used Belray Gear Saver, tranny seemed to work a little smoother and it doesn't break down as quickly. Expensive but I didn't mind since it worked well and lasted longer.

2001400exrida
04-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Just because it doesn't meet Jaso doesn't mean its not wet clutch safe.

Rotella was not Jaso for a while, but it was because of soot not moly or anything.

that's exactly what it means, jaso means wet clutch safe, anything that is not jaso does not pass the standard for wet clutch applications therefore i would not recommend running it.

Rotella was not JASO you are correct, it is now though.

Let's educate real quick.

THere's JASO MA and JASO MA2

JASO MA – This was the standard for single unit engines where the wet clutch, gearbox and engine used the same oil. JASO-MA oils don’t contain friction modifiers.

JASO-MA2 – This specification was introduced in 2006 for modern motorcycle engines. As well as being a higher standard of oil the JASO-MA2 approval means the oil is suitable for use in bikes with catalytic converts in the exhaust system.

feel free to follow this link and learn some things about jaso MA
http://www.whitedogbikes.com/whitedogblog/choosing-the-right-motorbike-oil-what-does-jaso-and-jaso-ma2-mean/

You definitely want to have jaso MA approved oil in your clutch, suggesting otherwise is bad advice.

d3ktrix
04-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Rotella wasn't jaso for a long time and everyone in the industry recommended it. All bad advice?

Lets educate? Really?
We are all quad riders that do some light reading on the net and regurgitate it onto forums. None of us are chemical engineers here. Don't get carried away. lol

Mtndew99
04-26-2013, 08:38 PM
I've been running just castrol 10w-40 white bottle you don't have to have the top notch oil out there you can use a lot of different oils just change it every couple rides and it will be fine a quad isn't a top fuel dragster