View Full Version : need help quick!

300EXrider02
03-16-2003, 06:55 AM
alright i already asked this but still did not get the correct answer i was looking for.

-As of right now, i am wondering how to get the tie rods and a-arms off
my a-arms are just hanging form the hub, all bolts are off, but they still will not come off the hub (ball joint) even the castle bolt and cotter pin are off...
how does everyone take theres off? i did something wrong becasue no matter how hard i pull, they will not come off...
the tie rods are also a pain in the *****, the will not come off either, i jsut managed to get one end of the tie-rod off, so now, jut my brake lines are holding the hub and brake crap up. I am screwed at the moent and need help asap, pics are coming soon, jsut need them to be downsized, also its warm as heck right now so i would like to do it today

NTPRacing#19
03-16-2003, 07:12 AM
where the ball joints go into the spindle thats PRESS FITTED you will not be able to pull it out with out a puller OR you can take a hammer and tap side of the spindle and pull up at the same time it will shock it loose. thats how i got mine off.

Live2Ride300
03-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Check this out-
Removing Ball joints from spindles (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13490)

300EXrider02
03-16-2003, 08:41 AM
i trie tapping it, and it did not do anything at all, i dont want to break anything or miss either, rigth now i put the a-arms back on, jsu tthe front tires are off, and the tie rod off the steering stem, otherwise, i tried everything everyone said, i searched thi whole place and found stuff and tried it, nothing worked, one of the biggest waists of my time, should have never done this

426exMx
03-17-2003, 03:10 AM
get a ball joint remover tool. its shaped like big tuning fork, and if you use it right you wont tear anything up, its what i used and worked great. autozone has them as loaner if you dont want to buy one.;)

Live2Ride300
03-17-2003, 09:39 AM
You could try heating it up a little with a blow torch, but not too hott cuz the spindle is aluminum.

300EXrider02
03-17-2003, 10:33 AM
alright, i tried everything but that...now the tie rods wont come off either...i am taking to open end wrenchs to loosen the bolts...how did everyone take the there rods off? u take both ends off then take the ends off and screw the rods back on? either way everybolt is frozen and wont move at all, i just pulled as hard as i could and the thing wouldnt budge, nore this f-ing ball joint, for something that everyone says is so easy and is "a breeze" it sure is a god damn pain in the *****, i jsut worked my butt off for 2 weeks trying to get these things off and tnothimng, i think i now will have a damn dealer charge me 90$ because this f-ing 300ex bolts wont come the **** off!

muff
03-17-2003, 10:39 AM
ok take a deep breath then relax

I use one of two ways
1. Get a hammer and a punch, line them up and go at it, its best to do that with the front end off the ground, the bottom will come out a little harder or you wont notice it at first because the shock will be holding it down, dont hit the ball joint itself just screw the castle nut on backwards most of the way and hit that
I did that yesterday and no probs at all

you can also get a ball joint remover, or a tie rod remover for cars, which is what i have and was only $15, this jams inbetween the ball joint and spindle and forces it out, the reason why I didnt use this yesterday was cause i was afraid of ripping a ball joint boot

as for the tie rods, are you removing the rod from the end or the whole thing from the quad?

300EXrider02
03-17-2003, 12:11 PM
thanks muff, u have no idea how pissed i was:D i wacked it pretty damn hard with a huge hammer:p

yes, i am putting 400ex tie rods on, what do u sudgest i do? take both ends off or what? as for getting the arms loose, u hit the stud of the ball joint with a castle nut on backwards? i thought you were supposed to hit the spindle?
also i have the shocks off already and the wheels, am i supposed to?:huh
thanks

"BLAHH"300!!
03-17-2003, 12:20 PM
...you only need to remove 2 (the outside's) tie-rod end's
for the a-arms, toake off the bolts and turn the over and screw them back on.
the 300's knuckles are not aluminum like the 400's so you can bang them as hard as you want.
it did me no good i beat on em for a while.
turn th bolts over and screw them back on, and knock the tihs
out of them and they will come out.
as far as the pickle fork. it just busted on of my boots
...no help there..if you take a scrw driver or something and lift the boot's up a little you'll see some flat spots where you can put a wrench. (use these to tighten the new arms down.)

"BLAHH"300!!
03-17-2003, 12:21 PM
...you only need to remove 2 (the outside's) tie-rod end's
for the a-arms, toake off the bolts and turn the over and screw them back on.
the 300's knuckles are not aluminum like the 400's so you can bang them as hard as you want.
it did me no good i beat on em for a while.
turn th bolts over and screw them back on, and knock the tihs
out of them and they will come out.
as far as the pickle fork. it just busted on of my boots
...no help there..if you take a scrw driver or something and lift the boot's up a little you'll see some flat spots where you can put a wrench. (use these to tighten the new arms down.)

the stuff loe posted, with the soket wrench and stuff, did me no good either, it just got so tight is wouldn't move anymore.

mine is a 96', and there was rust that i think was helping hold them together....you can try squirting a little lubricant in there.

muff
03-17-2003, 01:18 PM
having the shocks and tires off is no problem, you can hit the spindle, if i were you i'd hit the ball joint on the top a-arm, and hit the spindle off the bottom a-arm

blahh kinda lost me there but to take the tie rods out clamp an adjustable or open end wrench on the tie rod end, then loosen the nut that locks it on, but before you start turning take a close look at the threads, they're not all lefty loosy

300EXrider02
03-17-2003, 02:21 PM
ya blah u lost me to, also, you turn the bolts around and do what? screw em back on? please explain, casue it is like 65 degrees here, and i cant wait to ride, and i guess i will re bolts the tie rod ends that came out of the steering stem and just unloosen the one hooking to the hub? then jsut unsrew the rod right? bear with me;)

"BLAHH"300!!
03-17-2003, 02:50 PM
haha my bad,...

on the a-arm ball joints.
you already have the bolts at the ball joints off right?
turn them over and screw them back on flush. (not quite flush)
then hit them with a hammer.
(turn them over so you don't bend the castle side's)
if you hit the threaded bolt with a hammer it'll mushroom the threads and then their unusable. can't re-sale em' like that.

hope i cleared it up for you.

300EXrider02
03-18-2003, 08:10 AM
o so use the castle nut from something to hit with the hammer?

300exOH
03-18-2003, 09:11 AM
I did this a week ago with my 300ex and it worked great. Try doing a search in the forum for ball joint removal. I think that's how I got the idea.

You can use different size sockets(longer and shorter ones) to get the job done.

2 sockets, one long and one short and a 15-17mm ?wrench

I usually loosen the nuts till they are flush with the thread end then I put the socket in between and untighten the top or the bottom nut, and repeat for the other ball joint which is still stuck.(the second ball joint usually needs the longer socket to pop the 2nd one out)

when you do this, its a gamble on which ball joint will pop out, not that it matters.

300EXrider02
03-18-2003, 10:31 AM
i think i gotcha...if this works i love you:D :rolleyes:
alright, put the bolt upside down flush with the stud, and put a socket inbetween them, then tighten and one will pop out right? thanks i will give it a try

300exOH
03-21-2003, 03:30 AM
You'll probably need 2 short sockets first and you'll actually be loosening them against each other. Then you need 2 sockets one short and one longer to make up for the on that popped out. It worked for me but I make no guarantee. Good luck!