PDA

View Full Version : Setting toe discussion

quadmanw
04-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm am getting ready to trim down my GTT tie rods that are too long for +2 GTT a arms for some reason.. I rode last season with the toe off a little and ate up my front razr II's lol. So my question is what is the best way to set the tow on the old 400?

Thumpin440ex
04-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I personally have them set as strait as possible.

John

quadmanw
04-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Is there any certain method that you use to get them straight? I know they're supposed to be about 1/8 on each side but straight is fine for me... I just wanna be sure that they're both equal

Scro
04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
I usually set the tires straight first by using a yard stick, so that it's parallel with the rear tires. Then, toe both tires in the same amount slightly. Measure the distance between the center of the front of the tires, then measure the centers of the rear of the tires. Subtract the rear measurement from the front, and divide by two to get the toe-in amount. I always ran 1/4" on each side.

Granted, the yard stick method doesn't work really well if your axle is severely bent. You can also set the tires straight by measuring from the center of rear of the tire to the center of the frame. Then do the same for the front side of the tire. These numbers will match when the toe is 0.

But then again if your frame is bent, that doesn't work either. In that case, just eyeball it.

Ask me what I know about bent frames and axles LOL.

CJM
04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I run 1/4" in overall, I adjusted each tie rod 1/8 and bingo got that magical 1/4" its supposed to be.

quadmanw
04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Well that doesn't sound too difficult if I can get the correct measurements. I wish my tie rods didn't need trimmed down but maybe I was doing something stupid last time. I appreciate it man

KKiowaTJ
04-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Im getting ready to put my ASR 12mm tie-rod system on and am curious too. Does the front need set, Add wheels and jounce it and re-measure? Do you leave tires on? lol

My *** backward plan was to measure rotor to a chassis point 1/8 each side and go from there. That and do you need a puller for the aluminum hub/spindle? Or just a BFH and a whack like on trucks etc?

No pun intended on whoring your thread, But didnt want to start another with in a few days.

400man
04-03-2013, 08:22 PM
ive always kinda eyeballed them to get close, start out with my handlebars straight then look from behind the bike and get em straight. then toe em in just a tad. then take 2 wrenches in ur pocket and test ride it on the road to see how straight it tracks and how bad it wears your tires, and adjust if needed

quadmanw
04-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Kiowa, you can just smack the hub a little with a hammer.. They will pop right off.. Be sure to remove the rotors first, I got PO'd last week taking my hub off and bent the he11 out of my rotor lol

Scro
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Toe-in should be measured with you on it, in full gear. Your weight being on the quad will change the measurement. So you'll need someone that can help you measure.

The easiest and cheapest way to remove the arms from spindle is to put something between the two nuts in the spindle. As you are loosening one of the nuts, it will push the pin out of the spindle. Once you've popped one out, find something a little longer to fit against the other nut, and the spindle and do the same thing. They will pop right out, and no damaged spindles from a hammer.

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to eyeball the toe by looking from the front, and then the back. If you fix it to look right from the front, it will look wrong from the rear, vice versa.

CJM
04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Agreed ^

2 sockets work rather wheel for doing this, as you loosen the nuts it pushes the sockets one way and then the other and it will force the spindles off.

Scro
04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDcRpSXpDcg

This is the same concept, and probably better than a socket.

quadmanw
04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
What a pita just to set the toe.. Lol. This is going to take awhile lol

KKiowaTJ
04-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by quadmanw
What a pita just to set the toe.. Lol. This is going to take awhile lol

Thats what i was thinking lol. Thus the reason they have been sitting in the box for a few months. Oh well, Ill take my time and come back and re-read the thread and stickys if it ends up FUBAR.

Thumpin440ex
04-03-2013, 10:24 PM
It's not really that bad. Drink a 12 pack then do it hahaha. Take your time, I also used the yard stick or long straight edge.

John

CJM
04-03-2013, 10:38 PM
I prefer a 4ft level and a carpentars square and a magnetic angle finder . Makes it a breeze.

quadmanw
04-04-2013, 05:58 AM
I've had the hardest time trying to find a GOOD angle finder! Hahah

CJM
04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Its a quad, it doesnt have to be perfect lol.

quadmanw
04-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Lol you've seen my quad. You know perfect isn't even a factor haha

CJM
04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Yup lol..