PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug change, how often?

duneslider
04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Guys, I have been a 2-stroke guy for ever and those seem to use plugs like fuel.

I went out riding saturday and bike wouldn't start. Drained battery trying to start it. Finally jumped it off my jeep and it was running like crap. It hit me it must be the plug. Changed the plug and it was happy as could be. THis plug has probably been in several years. It has been in for the year and a half I have owned it.

Do you all change the plug as regular maintenance or wait for it to go bad and change it?

My 2-strokes would foul a plug mid ride, I just planned on changing plugs while out riding every trip to the dunes.

Zakradu398
04-03-2013, 02:41 PM
JET THE QUAD AND BIKE

Mtndew99
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
I've been running same plug for over 3 years and prolly longer then that since last owner but your jetting must be a little off for it to foul a plug

Blodg
04-03-2013, 03:17 PM
The plugs cost $3, I change once per year during winter maintenance.

DragonGunner
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
About every 100 hrs. riding time.....that can take a long time. I like the Splitfire 416 plug best.....it'll go forever.

slightlybent47
04-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Four strokes dont go through plugs like two strokers do. I don’t change the plug but maybe every year or less.

duneslider
04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
I will throw one in every year or so. Its not like they are expensive, plus I would prefer to do it in the garage than in the parking lot at the riding spot.

I have heard a lot of people say jetting is the only reason a plug fouls. My experience says that isn't true. My banshee seemed to eat plugs, I was exaggerating that I would put plugs in every trip to the dunes but it would foul them several times a year. I am certain it was jetted right, I even had it dyno jetted after some motor work. It would still go through a few sets a year.

Zakradu398
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Two strokes shouldn't go through a plug anymore than a 4 stroke. JETTING JETTING JETTING

b0rn c0nfused
04-04-2013, 03:58 PM
My plugs fouls quite a bit. Even though my jetting is about 10 to 15 sizes lower than everybody recommends, only at a 155 main.

SpasticR450
04-05-2013, 04:27 PM
When jetted right mine lasted forever. If jetted wrong the plugs would foul after a bit so I just took a wire brush to them instead of replacing it and at the same time checked the gap which was always good. 1 plug was good for me as long as I had a wire brush around. Replacing a plug because its black is a waste of money. Id rather wire brush the plug and spend the 3 bucks at McDonalds.

SpasticR450
04-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
Two strokes shouldn't go through a plug anymore than a 4 stroke. JETTING JETTING JETTING

Problem is with many people who have 2 strokes they think adding or subtracting oil from the gas is the cure instead of screwing with the carb.