PDA

View Full Version : Army and Riding...

trailrider894
04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
So i've been Active for awhile now and i've been out riding a ton in the past months.. had my bikes and 400ex in my truck bed around the company area a many a time and now all the sudden everyone is on me about the fact that I can't ride anywhere, not even on my own private property without taking some stupid ATV safety course... Pretty much confused at this point... Any of you Army folk have any input on that??

CJM
04-02-2013, 07:23 PM
That makes no sense.

Id want it in writing before I committed to some safety course.

trailrider894
04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by CJM
That makes no sense.

Id want it in writing before I committed to some safety course.

Exactly.. They pretty much told me that I can't even start the dang thing in my truck bed without the little certification course. Just kinda makes me a little mad... I've been riding since I was knee high to a grass hopper. They want to know why the suicide rate is so high in the military?? Its clearly because all of the " hobbies " they suggest you should do as a " stress reliever " are made impossible by stupid stuff like this. I'll be talking to my CO and 1SG about the whole thing, because my Platoon Sgt doesn't care about us or our hobbies.

honda250xrider
04-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Hmm generally they just want you to take a quick briefing (PowerPoint) on the high risk activity. When you ride a motorcycle to work you must do a quick safety course which I believe is also online.

I do agree they go a bit overboard on these so called high risk activities..... Canoeing, rock climbing, etc are all considered high risk anymore

trailrider894
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
Hmm generally they just want you to take a quick briefing (PowerPoint) on the high risk activity. When you ride a motorcycle to work you must do a quick safety course which I believe is also online.

I do agree they go a bit overboard on these so called high risk activities..... Canoeing, rock climbing, etc are all considered high risk anymore

We have to take an actual course that you have to physically go to. That includes motorcycles, dirt bikes, and ATV's... and mostly they are on weekdays so try convincing your leadership to let you get out of a day of training for a hobby... where I come from they will just laugh at you.

Pappy
04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
From what i found out through a website (Army) you need to take a course. Cody just did his online as it was approved and linked to through the Army.

trailrider894
04-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
From what i found out through a website (Army) you need to take a course. Cody just did his online as it was approved and linked to through the Army. hmm... i'll facebook cody and get that from him. I was told that I would need to go to a physical course but that could be wrong.

Pappy
04-03-2013, 06:46 AM
His 1st SGT told him just to not ride until he was done basic then hammer down. No one has ever told him he could not do any type of extreme sports but he asked just to cover the bases after a friend mentioned it.

extremeblastr
04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
trailrider they make a big deal out of it here on ft riley, be aware that the orv safety course is different then the motorcycle safety course which you must have to use any onroad legal bike. neither one is all that terrible to go through and i believe both are during work hours so you get out of the battalion footprint for a few hours during it. where do you stay at here? i live in ellis heights over by the asp/aha area and i'm with 1-63. if you want just shoot me a message on here about where you work and what you drive lol i'll find you when i come back to work from this surgery and we can shoot the **** for a while.

extremeblastr
04-03-2013, 10:37 AM
also if you ask your leadership to go to the course they are required to help enroll you in the next class that does not interfere with the training schedule (i.e. going to the field during the course). be aware that if you are injured riding and do not have the class you can be held responsible for all medical bills and lost time at work that would normally be covered through tri-care

redrocker
04-03-2013, 01:40 PM
If you get hurt and you didn't take
the course it's your *** and the medical
bills are on your dime
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trailrider894
04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
also if you ask your leadership to go to the course they are required to help enroll you in the next class that does not interfere with the training schedule (i.e. going to the field during the course). be aware that if you are injured riding and do not have the class you can be held responsible for all medical bills and lost time at work that would normally be covered through tri-care

Yeah, I was talking to some people today and our Motorcycle Safety rep at battalion he said that all I should need is the online ASI ( ATV Safety Institute ) then i'll be good to ride off post. So i'm on CQ tonight and i'll finish it off then be good. I'm at the 97th MP BN 977th MP CO. Yup I know i'm an MP, hate if ya want!

extremeblastr
04-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Yeah, I was talking to some people today and our Motorcycle Safety rep at battalion he said that all I should need is the online ASI ( ATV Safety Institute ) then i'll be good to ride off post. So i'm on CQ tonight and i'll finish it off then be good. I'm at the 97th MP BN 977th MP CO. Yup I know i'm an MP, hate if ya want!

haha not hatin going on here i'm an 88M and i keep my nose clean so i haven't had any run ins with yall lol. if you happen to see an 80s white chevy 4x4 with white rims and mud terrains thats loud as hell flag me down and we can talk for a bit. been a while since i've been out and about and it'll be another two weeks or so til i come off con leave and about a week after that they cut this stupid cast off and i get to drive her again lol.

trailrider894
04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
Will do bro!! Pretty sure i've seen your truck around before. Maybe parked somewhere.

extremeblastr
04-03-2013, 05:40 PM
i'm sure you've probably seen it lol i'm all over the place usually. you in the barracks or married? i pulled a lot of cq in late february and march in a few different buildings so i was in the barracks area a lot. since your an mp any idea if there is any exhaust restrictions on post? i know the kansas laws but don't want to get hassled to much by those ugly little white chevys lol.

trailrider894
04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
i'm sure you've probably seen it lol i'm all over the place usually. you in the barracks or married? i pulled a lot of cq in late february and march in a few different buildings so i was in the barracks area a lot. since your an mp any idea if there is any exhaust restrictions on post? i know the kansas laws but don't want to get hassled to much by those ugly little white chevys lol.

I'm in the barracks... Don't have time for marriage yet.. ha ha Well Kansas State Law is what we enforce, so there is nothing i'm aware of as far as post. Even if their was, the only thing you gotta worry about is the guys in the silverados they are the ones that will get ya.

trailrider894
04-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Here is my next question... So then am I required the BRC course to ride my ATV off post??? I took the ASI online course that they mentioned... will that be enough?? My leadership can't give me answers and it isn't exactly an MP matter so i'm very un educated. So what exactly do I need to take according to Fort Riley to ride my ATV off post?

redrocker
04-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Remember the government owns you
now So you can't brake yourself
Because thats destroying government
property :)
YOUR IN THE ARMY NOW!!!!!!

extremeblastr
04-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Here is my next question... So then am I required the BRC course to ride my ATV off post??? I took the ASI online course that they mentioned... will that be enough?? My leadership can't give me answers and it isn't exactly an MP matter so i'm very un educated. So what exactly do I need to take according to Fort Riley to ride my ATV off post?

contact the outdoor rec office down in forsyth, 785-239-2363 they should be able to make sure your pointed in the right direction and have the necessities

gregoryeaston
04-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Mannnn old Riley lol. I remember going to either school creek out on the other side of the lake or this other place out by a flood damn out in manhattan. I was in 2-1 bstb 07-10. There's even a old quad and dirt bike riding area on the post. It's near one of the tank tracks coming off the hill taking the back way to manhattan thur Ogden. Honestly there's a lot of riding areas near jc or hell little Sahara Ok.