PDA

View Full Version : Use bent gaskets?

hondaREX
03-28-2013, 07:40 AM
I recieved my Cometic MLS top end kit in the mail about 3 weeks ago and the USPS driver bent the padded envelope to get it into my mailbox. So i didnt open the package and returned it to the seller to get a NEW set. I contacted the seller and they agreed that a new set would be sent back. While i was waiting i had the thought that i should have opened the package and marked the kit so i could verify that i get a new set the next time and not the same, returned bent kit.

Well Monday i got the 2nd set. It was in the same type of packaging and the driver put it in the mailbox AGAIN, this time with a little more care...well not as obviously bent. I opened the package and removed all the gaskets. I should have marked the kit because it looks as if it is the first kit and there is some bends in the gaskets. The cardboard backer with the kit has a bend in it and the gaskets were slide to the opposite end of the cardboard backer, away from the bent end.

So the valve cover gasket has a decent bend in it. The head gasket looks good, the 3 layers are flaired apart making it hard to tell. The raised areas on the head gasket look to not be creased. And the base gasket looks good.

Do i take a chance and use them or complain AGAIN and get another set? I think it should be fine and i dont want to complain, but if im pulling my motor apart because of a leak im going to be pi$$ed. What is everyones thoughts? Thanks.

JOHNDOE83
03-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Well, you were better off not opening it and sending it back like you did.

It could have been perfectly ok, but if it were bent and not usable, someone might say well, its not my fault. then youd be stuck possibly.

I would deffinetly say if bent badly enough, any metal or fiber gasket would be ruined.

That sux man.