PDA

View Full Version : HD studs or helicoils?

hondaREX
03-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Im getting the motor back together and ready to slap the cylinder on. Ive considered HD studs for awhile now but havent committed yet. So now im questioning what others have done with what success. I have read plenty on the GT HD studs but not much about experiences with helicoils. So if your running helicoils, id like to hear feedback on them. Any opinions from you guys with the HD studs about why i shouldnt go with the helicoils? Heck, if anyone still runs stockers with multiple builds on them, chime in. Im confident in my jetting that i dont think im going to overheat the stockers. I do know this from the GT site, you cannot install HD studs if the cylinder is already been helicoiled. Has anyone had the HD studs go? Pull the threads or strip out, then the cylinder is junk? And how long have guys had either in the motor? Thanks again guys.

atvrider13
03-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Helicoils do not work. Believe me I tried it. The stock studs last awhile as long as you have a tame compression ratio . If you end up pulling the threads with the stock studs you can upgrade to the HD studs.

Blodg
03-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Rex, what build are you going with? I have also debated whether or not to go with the head studs and since I decided to go with a 416cc and 10.8:1 piston the studs really shouldn't be needed. But as CJM and others have said it may be good insurance for $110 if they install them. But then again, why spend $100+ dollars if it is not needed?

So I am still unsure myself and need to decide soon but I would not do the helicoil. I have used them many times in motors over the years and just put a few in my 492cc 350X motor last week but would not use them for the head studs.

hondaREX
03-28-2013, 07:45 AM
Im doing a 11:1 407cc. I def dont think i need them but insurance is nice. Im confident in my jetting and i watch my bikes running and performance close. I like the idea of having a backup plan with sticking with the stockers and if something happens then having the HD option.

DragonGunner
03-28-2013, 02:39 PM
I did several builds over the years keeping the stock studs with 11:1 you should be fine....it wasn't until after all the builds and going to a 440 12.5:1 that I started blowing gaskets that was when I needed to plain the head and install GT HD studs......

CJM
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Improper jetting will create more heat, therefore causing the exhaust to heat up and that one stud is the one that really likes to pull out.

100 bucks is insurance, your call. Do you wanna hafta do it all over again?

hondaREX
03-29-2013, 06:51 AM
CJM. How many years and teardowns are on your HD studs?

CJM
03-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by hondaREX
CJM. How many years and teardowns are on your HD studs?

Lets see...
-First time I built it into a 416
-Teardown to check topend after I sunk it in a lake
-426 build

Friend of mine had NO HD studs and we tore it down like 4x in a year-but he didnt have a hi-comp setup till the last rebuild.

I always torque using a click wrench like this (spec is 33ft-lbs):
-first pass by hand with regular ratchet just slightly snug
-15 ft - lbs
-25 ft -lbs
-33 ft -lbs

See the issue is, if you dont jet it right or have taken it apart alot the studs nearest the exhaust are gonna pull out from the excessive heat. Were talking steel in AL and they expand and contract at different rates b/c they are dissimilar metals.

Blodg
04-01-2013, 05:20 PM
After some thought I did decide to have the HD head studs installed since the cylinder is already at GT Thunder to be bored. The studs do sometimes fail on the mild builds although it doesn't happen often like it does on the 440 or high compression builds.