PDA

View Full Version : Thinking on ds450, need few questions answered

Bradracer18
03-26-2013, 04:20 PM
Hey all, I'm looking into a ds 450, and just looking for some input. I've been reading about them for the past week and gathering all the info I can. Sounds like a pretty good machine! From what I gather a pipe and filter make this machine pretty snappy. I come from a slightly modified predator....so I'd like more power and a better ride.

Anything else I will need? Does a guy need anything in regards to the EFI? What does hollow rear axle mean? Sounds like a weak point to me? Do people get into these motors much, or is it like the predator and when you get into the motor it opens up a can or worms?

How are the stock nerfs?

What is the wheel bolt pattern/offset?

Any additional info would be great.

Thanks,

Brad

Burns310r
03-27-2013, 05:40 AM
The motors will go as far as your wallet. I put a 13.6 piston in mine. Also haveing the head decked and epoxy ported for more power. Not necessary unless you race though.

Pipe/intake and the pink wire mod is a pretty good combination.

They use the same bolt pattern as honda.

The stock nerfs work good, but the foot pegs where a little narrow for me. I ended up with Rath Monster 44 bars. No comparison.

The rear axle is just that...hollow. its very light. Also works great.

BCS does alot of good motor work on these things and for the most part are very reliable.

What kind of riding are you doing and what model of bike are you looking at?

rrguy
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
I think you would be happy.
Overall a good machine it feels so light & even base model stock handles good. I feel most comfortable on this machine.

Don't think I have ever had a machine improve so much from a full exhaust & cutting a wire lol.

I tried a few exhaust even slipons out there & would suggest a rossier exhaust or even the yoshi not bad for adding power & helping bottom.

Getting into more mods, then with a dynojet progammer they can pretty much program & dial in the motor with the dyno.

couple simple things like checking oil level (run machine first) & limp mode couple things that might be different from most machines. dont touch the throttle when starting. lol

Bradracer18
03-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Well I do some duning (2 days per year), and some various riding around home...but though about maybe doing some harescrambles.

I'm looking at the ds450 model that is out for 2013, believe its called mx or x. I didn't see they had any other models available....

I have the rath monster pegs on my predator right now, and they are a must for me, so I'll prob just go with their nerfs as well.

I don't really understand any of the efi or programmer stuff...so most of what rrguy said at the end went over my head. Limp mode and touching throttle when starting I also didn't quite grasp.

I had a honda 450r once and engine builder told me not to touch throttle or it would crack the case...similar?

Thank you guys!

Quinn4
03-29-2013, 02:06 PM
He means to not touch the throttle because the quad is EFI, you don't have to. The computer does it for you.
The limp home mode was something that early DS models had an issue with, the computer would think the machine was getting to hot and not let it run over a certain RPM.
No worries tho as that has since been fixed.
Riding a DS450 will blow away what you are use to on a predator, the two aren't even in the same league.
Good Luck you won't be disappointed.

Bradracer18
03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys, makes sense!

Now, if I can find one. Sounds like finding new 2012 models, or new 2013 models is tough around the midwest area.....Local dealers can't seem to find any and don't have them in stock...

Quinn4
03-30-2013, 11:41 AM
If you don'tind driving there are a few ds450's on Wisconsin Craigslist. Otherwise I bought some parts a while back from jlrenkin (spelling) off this forum he might have a lead on some quads in iowa