PDA

View Full Version : my dodge cummins lost a wheel while driving

HondaRider18
03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
has anyone ever had problems with wheel studs or breaking after putting on a set of offset wheels ?
we just put on a set of KMC badlands with 33" micky thompson atz's, about 400 miles later i was going around a turn and the front left wheel broke off has anyone else had this happen ?

fastredrider44
03-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Sounds like the lugnuts weren't tight enough and they backed off, causing the vibration to break the studs. That's not enough wheel or tire to break the studs if they were tight. Yes, Ive lost a wheel while driving. Very embarrassing and no fun for sure.

CJM
03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Sounds like the lugnuts weren't tight enough and they backed off, causing the vibration to break the studs. That's not enough wheel or tire to break the studs if they were tight. Yes, Ive lost a wheel while driving. Very embarrassing and no fun for sure.

Exactly.

You didnt use wheel spacers did you? Ive seen them fail a few times.

HondaRider18
03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
i tightend them, took it for a drive, then re tightened them. and it was steering fine and then boom it came off and we slid on the rotor

CJM
03-26-2013, 01:21 PM
How tight did you make them? Its an 8 lug so you can crank them down quite hard honestly.

What kinda lug nuts dot he wheels use? I once had an issue where the lugs I got with some new wheels had a long shank on them that I guess was supposed to fit into the hole and center the lug better. They cause issues with the wheel being on the rotor/drum being uneven. Swapped to acorn nuts and no more issues.

HondaRider18
03-26-2013, 02:17 PM
we cranked on them pretty good, all of the other wheels are fine, nothing is loose, and the lug nuts are tapered at the end. i didnt use wheel spacers either.

CJM
03-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Maybe you guys just forgot that one or the studs were messed up. I had it happent o me once on a work truck but it had a damaged rear they tried to fix before hand.

HondaRider18
03-26-2013, 02:24 PM
i was kinda thinking they might have got rusty and when we put those wide wheels on it it put more leverage on them and it broke. the same thing happend to my cousins 04 cummins after he put wider offset wheels on

CJM
03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Sounds like cheap studs too boot as well!

chucked
03-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Could have been over-tightened as well

OldGuyonaQuad
03-27-2013, 05:28 AM
Happened to me once, nothing scarier then watching your front driver side tire passing you. I was lucky and smart enough to stay on the road until I reduced my speed then safely stopped on the median. The worse part was I couldn't find the tire. It bounced down an overpass and vanished.

LITE
03-28-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a street rod shop and wheel come off a lot . Each time we find out the customer did not torque wheels to proper spec. Wheels all have torque specs.

HondaRider18
03-28-2013, 10:37 PM
could it be because the wheels are offset alot maybe

CJM
03-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by HondaRider18
could it be because the wheels are offset alot maybe
Very much doubt that.

candidate zero
03-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Did you have stock wheels on it before? If you did, did it have the little clips that hold the rotor on still on the studs? I swapped from stock wheels to some XDs on mine and didn't think to take off the clips. The new wheels are flat on the back so when you put them on they rest on the clips and don't square up perfect to the hub. I had 2broke studs from that but noticed it when I rotated my tires so I never had a wheel fall off while driving. Took all the clips off and have been good to go ever since.

HondaRider18
03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
they didnt have any clips or anything like that on them, i think the lug nuts just worked there self loose, but when i was driving it the steering felt fine, idk

LITE
04-01-2013, 09:25 AM
torque the the lug nuts, they do not come off!

Zakradu398
04-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. :confused:

dxcody
04-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Zakradu398
Pics or it didn't happen. :confused:

I know I clicked on this thinking it was a youtube video or had a picture lol !

Another thing I was wondering was... Is it possible they were too tight?

Just old studs and when you tightened them maybe it cracked a few of them or something and then the stress just snapped the other ones?

Or maybe the hubs were going out? Getting hot and caused them to snap off?

I mean I am def not a "car guy" but just wondering..

CJM
04-03-2013, 08:20 PM
If you over tighten a stud (not easy on a truck like this but possible) it might snap when you tighten it or might snap when driving. But the entire stud would go away not just the lugnut.