PDA

View Full Version : 400ex swing arm bushing replacement problems

laxman1306
03-25-2013, 07:30 PM
so im replacing the swing arm bearings on my girlfriends 400ex and they are so rusted the needles were pretty much just rusty dust...nothing left... now the outer part of the bearings i so rusted there isnt much left to hit with a socket to drive them out so my next option it to use a propane torch and heat it up some and get a better socket to drive them out........does anyone have any better ideas to replace them?

quadmanw
03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Before you use heat try to stick a rag in the bottom and soak them in PB blaster for a night and then try to knock em out again. Don't be shy with the blaster either.

250x_kyle
03-25-2013, 07:38 PM
they can be a pain at times. pb blaster and a press work well if you can get on anything. then you dont have an inconsiten smash from a hammer knock what little is left off. ive also hit the inside edges with a file where they were already bad and bend them in with a flat screw driver. heat is always a last resort.

Zhutch7
03-26-2013, 07:40 AM
We used a propane torch and it wasn't worth the time. PB blaster and letting it sit was the best route for us.