PDA

View Full Version : fuel

tony g
03-25-2013, 01:05 PM
the airport sells something called 100 lowlead its 100 octane fuel i was wondering if it was safe for me to use in my quad it sells for 7 a gallon and im currently paying 12 a gallon for vp fuel

Scro
03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
What kind of compression are you running in the motor?

CJM
03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Should be fine, my buddies use it all the time for their worked banshees

tony g
03-25-2013, 01:31 PM
got 11:1 compression oem xr400 top end gaskets

KKiowaTJ
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
A two stroke you can run it easier as you have to mix the gas. But if you use av gas, Its a dry fuel so moisture wont happen in planes and nose dive.
IMO if your going to run it, Add some marvels mystory oil or the like to keep from burning your cylinder and melting a hole in your piston. That or mix 50/50 with 91 and add a little oil. Other than the nice smell, Over 95 octane isnt needed if tuned correct.

DragonGunner
03-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Got it from my airport also...100 AV the best stuff used it for yrs...burns super clean.....you can mix 50/50 if you want....I started doing that as prices went up, mixed with like 92 octane...last time I bought some it was 3.25.......guess its gone up!! O, and your buddies will like following you, that AV smells good......when ever a new guy would show up...they would say..."Whos running high octane!!!!!"

O.....you aint going to burn your cylinder up or burn a hole in your piston...LOL.

ish416
03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
100LL will burn out the exhaust packing in your muffler much quicker than pump gas.

Other than price, there are no other downsides of running it.

Also, make sure you get the fuel WITHOUT de-icer. Otherwise you will have problems.

KKiowaTJ
03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by ish416
100LL will burn out the exhaust packing in your muffler much quicker than pump gas.

Other than price, there are no other downsides of running it.

Also, make sure you get the fuel WITHOUT de-icer. Otherwise you will have problems.

That was the option we didnt/dont have at the local airport. Back when we bought it you only got one choice. If you didnt add a lubricant it would score the cylinder walls and melt the piston.

If it does oh well, The other guy said its fine to run. Then again, He wont have to pay to fix it when/if a problem happens.

Baileygunns
03-25-2013, 08:25 PM
They call it dry because its low lead... Meaning its dry on lead. It has nothing to do with moisture. I've been running it for years, straight. It's good for even a stock bike for the lead content. It lubricates the valve train. I run a 13:1 in a 450 with it and a buddy was running it in his 11:1 426ex with no issues.

I like it. I'm sure VP or Sunoco has better fuel but this is half the price and better then pump gas.