PDA

View Full Version : Bog After Jump

CJM
03-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Was having issues today with my 04 R, currently has full exhaust and outerwears lid with UNI. 180-185 (I forget exactly) main and 50 pilot, forget what air/fuel screw is. I havent ridden it much b/c valves need to be redone (starting it cold sucks!)

What happens is I hit a small jump where the machine lands-it will bog when getting back on the throttle. I read after some searching where this might be cured by adjusting the a/f screw or maybe enriching the needle 1 notch.

DnB_racing
03-24-2013, 08:46 PM
this is the stock 04/05 carb correct?

the reason I ask is it sounds just like the +06 accelerator pump issue, which is cured by doing the acc pump mod along with a larger acc bowl and smaller leak jet

CJM
03-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Yea stock carb. Want to do the FCR but not in the cards right now.

atvrider13
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Mine does the same thing. Hopefully someone can help us out.

CJM
03-25-2013, 10:11 PM
After researching it a bit you have 3 options to try and balance it out:
Richen the needle, larger pilot, play with air/fuel screw. I already have a larger pilot so IDK.

I found a few posts on the org about going out a 1/2 turn on the fuel screw cured it for a few people.

Also, if the piece that fits over the main jet (its a plastic cage looking thing) is messed up or not there, it controls the float from coming back to far.

Im gonna mess with it tomorrow but have no jumps to test it on. my 400 w/r carb does it ever so slightly but not like the R where it wants to shut down. Im gonna take a wild guess and say the a/f screw is whats gonna fix it for me.

2001400exrida
03-26-2013, 08:22 AM
I had this same issue when i first got my 450r. a few of the quick and easy things to check. make sure your vent hose is working properly. make sure the plastic piece around the mainjet is insterted properly as you mentioned. And also check your float level to be sure it's working correctly.

My quad was doing this and it just magically went away, i wish i could give a reason as to what i did to fix it, i've done several mainjets and a/f screw adjustments so ultimately i'm sure that's what it was, but i can't pin point one thing that fixed it. wierd.

CJM
03-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Yea, Im sure it has something to do with the jetting in some way as everything else I think is good. Ill check it out just to make sure tho.

punk rock kiel
03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
maybe the jump was too small. go bigger and see if its still there.

CJM
03-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by punk rock kiel
maybe the jump was too small. go bigger and see if its still there.

Funny kiel, funny. IDK what it is, I used to hit some rather large jumps but these days ever since I took a nasty spill at treverton I kinda shy away from the big stuff. So I probably wont be testing it out all too much. Also not as comfortable on it vs my EX.

I cleaned the carb totally out and had no dirt. Turned the a/f screw out another 1/2 or so a turn (Im at like 2 3/4). I also drilled the air breather out finally (been meaning to do it). Put the sucker back together and it seriously fired up way easier than it ever has. Idle still funky b/c I need to do the valves but it runs well otherwise.

punk rock kiel
03-26-2013, 01:43 PM
by need to do the valves, do you mean adjust them?

i had the same issue with my 450 with the odd idle bog and i richened it up and it got rid of it. my problem. your jetting sounds right tho. i never touched my needle tho and left it in the middle position.

CJM
03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Idle tends to fluctuate IDK why. It will run but you turn the screw and it idles up then gets even higher after a bit. I cant find any air leaks either. 185 main, 50 pilot 2.75 a/f screw. Full exhaust, and outwears lid with uni is all thats done Once it idles up you turn the screw back and it idles down. Kinda like it cant find a happy medium when cold. I need to crank the idle slightly higher on the EX w/r carb as well and then turn it down a bit when warm but it doesnt have the same issues as the R does.

But Im sure the valves need to be redone. Its a total pain to start all the time except when warm pretty much. Once it warms up the idle is ok.

atvrider13
03-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Mine is missing that plastic "do-hicky" that goes around the main jet so hopefully that fixes it for me. I wont be able to try it on any jumps til our snow melts.

CJM
03-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by atvrider13
Mine is missing that plastic "do-hicky" that goes around the main jet so hopefully that fixes it for me. I wont be able to try it on any jumps til our snow melts.

Yea that little cage prevents the float from moving around.

Im not sure wtf I did to the carb aside from clean it up and adjust the a/f screw but damn it fires right up no no problem.

Pump throttle 2-3x, choke on 1-2 kicks its good to go and it idles better. Before I was kicking and kicking and kicking. It could be the temps went up too I wonder-last week was only about 40F high and now its easily 45F or better.

I think Ill go up a size to a 52 in the pilot and take the screw in some.

Blodg
03-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Sounds like more of a float issue to me. If it was purely a jetting issue wouldn't it do it all the time and not just when landing from a jump?

CJM
03-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Blodg
Sounds like more of a float issue to me. If it was purely a jetting issue wouldn't it do it all the time and not just when landing from a jump?

Id say the same thing, but I checked everything and it seemed in spec. I dont have the fancy float tool of course the manuals hows either.

Still, its amazing after cleaning it up and simply messing with the a/f screw it fires up instantly pretty much. Before it took me forever to kick it over a finally fire up.

Stickman400
04-06-2013, 04:29 PM
You ever get this fixed Marc? Very weid problem to have.

CJM
04-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Havent been riding it since. Going tomorrow and hope it works.

All I know is the sucker fires right up now after a few kicks. I do seem to have to use the hotstart to lean it out so I might have to lower the pilot. All I did was turn the a/f screw out to about 2.75 turns and cleaned the carb.

atvrider13
04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I finally got to jump mine and there is no bog upon landings anymore. All I did was put that plastic cage thingy in by the main jet. Thanks everyone!