PDA

View Full Version : Quad Racer 250R

DEAL
12-12-2001, 01:14 PM
Ok i was talking to a guy in one of my classes and he has an 86 lt250r its in really good conidtion .. (he showed me a pic) and he wants to trade me for my 300ex that needs (rear bearings front a-arm bushings chain and sprockets and a few other things).
Hes comin out on saturday and we;re goin riding ..
Do you think this is a good idea ?..
I can't get a 400 or honda 250r because the 400s are too expensive and the honda 250rs are really rare and when you do find one theyre very expensive.
And is there anything wrong with the lt250rs besides cracked frames?.

papaw
12-12-2001, 02:21 PM
i used to own one and i always had probs with the thrust washers between the pin bearing shearing and wasting bores.the last time i rebuilt it i sold it and it is still running strong....

DEAL
12-12-2001, 02:57 PM
How many times did it do it in the time you owned it?

Nausty
12-12-2001, 05:21 PM
Can't you get a used 400ex all modded up for a good price? That would be the most reliable way to go. From what I understand the old lt's weren't very reliable and that is why they are so rare right now is because of the stuff you would have to be replacing and you are buying a quad that has been through about 10 years of hard abuse so keep that in mind.

papaw
12-12-2001, 08:21 PM
it happened twice in one year, i don't know if it was just bad thrust washers or something else but my roommate has this bike now and the motor is still running strong.

Guy400
12-13-2001, 05:42 AM
The cracked frame rumor about the LT's really ought to be disspelled. Yes, they crack when subjected to the onslaughts of MX racing when stock suspension is retained. It's not common for a trail/sport LT to have a cracked frame. The motor's were incredibly strong and reliability wasn't an issue with the 250. People on this board are probably going to flip their lid when they hear this but the stock Suzuki's always put out more power than the Honda 250R. In fact, the 250R was the slowest in a straight line. We all know that there's more to a quad than straight line acceleration but it's an interesting fact nonetheless. I had 3 of these quads ('87,'88 and '92). The '92 was definitely the best out of them all. Just make sure to look the bike over well. Definitely check the frame for cracks, check all bearings and bushings, clutch, etc.

The LT was a much better quad than anyone gave it credit for.

DEAL
12-13-2001, 07:03 AM
Yeah the cracking frame was about the only bad thing that I heard of.
I talk to Juggalo alot on aim and he has nothing but good things to say about his that he had till it got stolen.
This bike is really nice lookin the only things it needs are a fatty pipe (a little old and rusted out) and a seat cover .. which has a tear in it.
And the reason he wants to trade for a slower 300ex is because he rides alot of trails.. where as i have the perfect place for a 2-stroke (open trails and fire roads).

papaw
12-13-2001, 03:23 PM
freestyle,if you do the trade and you need some parts look me up my roommate has a spare lt for parts minus the s/arm and frame.....

Juggalo
12-13-2001, 08:53 PM
yeah dude i loved mine. it was really reliable and most of the problems i had with it were my fault. i did manage to snap my frame though. and i don't think i ever had that thing higher than 6 feet in the air plus it had works shocks all the way around. i think it was raced before i got it though...so maybe that had somethin to do with it.